rory

Anyone seen a Wireless Hidden IP Camera?

Anyone seen a hidden IP camera, wireless, or not.

Would need to connect to a linksys Wireless access point if wireless ..

Any ideas? Thanks.

How "hidden" are we talking? I've seen IP cameras that are no bigger than standard analog board cameras... something like that could be easily hidden inside something else. Or just run any standard covert camera to a wireless video server.

Nothing to hide it in this case, has to be something like a motion detector as its a really small hallway outside an important closet ... only thing else there is a light on the ceiling, hallway is really just a seperate area on the way to another room .. its approx 4.5'x4.5'. There is another closet on the other side I could mount something in though like the video server and wireless bridge .. for a regular hidden camera to connect to. .. does that make sense? Connect to a video server then a wireless bridge? Only thing id be concerned about is if the wireless bridge crashes .. guess it should not though, plus low res video should be okay.

Axis has a covert kit.... m7001

Thanks .. only thing is I dont need the weatherproof camera

Also I will need a decoder at the other end right? To go into the DVR.

I am .. but it has to be decoded back to a stand alone DVR at the other end in this case. I only want to use the IP for the transmission, instead of running a whole new cable as I mentioned its not easy in this case ... they have enough wires in this house now. Id like to switch their system some time but its not going to happen right now as they bought this DVR from someone else not too long ago. Old concrete house with attics here and there and no attics in most places, most cable is surface mounted on the outside in conduit or wire mold. The wireless access point is just on the other side of the wall across the room about 15-20 feet, that cat5 goes all the way to the other side of the house right back to the router and the DVR is right there also.

Rory, I know you like cost effective solutions, check out a Foscam FI8908W. They run about $80, has pan/tilt capabilities, is WiFi, you can change lenses and it has an IR illuminator good for about 3-4m. You can mount it in the ceiling and they come in white or black, not hidden, but most people wouldn't notice it. You can always put it inside a shoe or tissue box and cut a hole for the lens.

I know it's low end, but I use them and at night, with the IR illuminators on, it certainly outperforms the any day cams. The lens that comes with it is no good. Go to DealExrteme and order the 2.1mm lens for $6. It's much sharper and the extra wide angle will give you better coverage in that closet.

thanks but this one needs to be a hidden camera, so a mini cube or board cam with a pinhole lens mounted in something. The staff know what the dome cameras and regular lenses look like already.

Hey Rory, how much does this thing really need to record, and how unattended does it need to be?

I'm thinking, why not just a covert camera (PIR-type, perhaps) with onboard storage... something like this? http://www.vdomain.com/products/memocam/default.asp

132551_1.jpg

Four versions - color 1.2 megapixel, low-lux (0.003 B&W), standard B&W, and standard VGA color:

The MC-Z/C model is a hand-sized covert MemoCam unit integrating Color CCD Camera, DVR, VMD (Video Motion Detection) and PIR sensor.

It has full resolution quality of 640x480 (VGA), recording quality - 8 levels, 10 frames per second (fps), sensitivity - 0.5 Lux, a RS485 Comm Port and a TV output for an external monitor. It is IP ready for remote management over Internet/LAN.

MemoCam Zorro MC-Z/C is a solid state device that doesn't require daily maintenance, and is easy to install and use without special training.

It automatically record events on a mini SD card for local storage up to 2GB memory. The recorded events are easily analyzed by simply removing the mini SD card from the unit and inserting it into a memory card reader connected to a PC/pocket PC.

Alarms can be activated by external triggers or by dual-technology PIR and VMD that significantly reduces false alarms. VMD enables the user to define specific areas of interest within the picture frame, significantly reducing storage space required. This enables a large amount of video data to be stored on a mini SD card.

The remote control supplied with the unit enables the user to Arm/Disarm the unit, set up the recording process or record events manually. It can also function as a panic button.

MemoCam Zorro MC-Z/C is a reliable, secure system that will never let you down. Images are dated, timed and watermarked for integrity. No wonder that MemoCam is most trusted and used by law enforcement and government agencies worldwide.

Supplied with a swivel mounting bracket, infrared remote control with panic button function, power supply (15ft cable) and mini SD card.

No wiring required other than a power feed... just record to the internal card... stop by now and then (or have someone trustworthy stop by) to swap it out for another if you need to record for long periods. Or depending on what sort of incidents you're trying to capture, if you'll know within a short time period that the incident has occurred, you don't even need massive amounts of storage.

What about a wireless "nanny" cams? I have seen ones hidden in "motion sensors", alarm clocks, air purifiers, etc

Anyone seen a hidden IP camera, wireless, or not.

Would need to connect to a linksys Wireless access point if wireless ..

Any ideas? Thanks.

What about a wireless "nanny" cams? I have seen ones hidden in "motion sensors", alarm clocks, air purifiers, etc

Those sort of cheap wireless cams have horrible transmission quality and near-useless range (or lack thereof).

thanks soundy, it looks good .. but they will probably need about 1-2 weeks ,, they vacation for 3 months at a time and dont always get to me to deal with something sometimes for over a week after it happened. Right now they average 7-9 days on the DVR but that will increase when they add larger HDDs or change the system also.

How much traffic is through this area? 2GB MiniSD, combined AIR and VMD triggering... should be able to get substantial record time.

not much at all really .. staff maybe cross it a couple times a day to clean or whatever they do in the other room ... i wonder if the Mini SD card can be changed .. in case.

Yeah gonna take a look at the memocam some more ... seems it might be able to do 8 days+- in CIF mode which is fine for that tiny area, maybe more based on PIR motion. And guess could always change the mini SD for a large one like 16GB. Thanks.

thanks but this one needs to be a hidden camera, so a mini cube or board cam with a pinhole lens mounted in something. The staff know what the dome cameras and regular lenses look like already.

With the dome off, It's a fair amount smaller than even most mini-cubes, a flat base that's less than 4" diameter, less than 2" tall, you could trim off the base flange to about 3" or less, and it has a board cam lens that could be changed to a pinhole type, if you wanted... I'll try to get you a picture of one with the dome cover off.

Thanks .. ive decided on the memocam now though .. it should do what I need ...

Might even just go with the BW one as its even cheaper ... will let the client decide.

Also found 16GB mini SD cards online for around $70 in case we need more recording time.

I can then just connect it to a wireless bridge and the client can playback the video from their PC over the network, so it seems.

I'd double-check with the mfr. before getting a bigger card... unless it supposed SDHC, 2GB will be the max.

Still, with the B&W, video/images should be anywhere from 1/5 to 1/10 the size of color.

Yeah i'll check first .. as you mentioned the BW will be smaller images so longer recording .. something actually that could sell down here .. no DVR needed for a simple 1 camera job .. still though duty on that would be 35% if they charge it as a PIR motion .. but no wire to run so on some jobs save alot there.

Well got the memocam .. its pretty large .. I mean its a motion detector housing but darn its a big one.

Anyway .. hard to angle in a tiny area .. had to attach the pivot to the ceiling then point the housing down at an angle.

Got a micro SD card kit with a mini SD adaptor but I think its larger than 2GB. Why do you say it might not work over 2GB? Is that a limitation with mini and micro SD cards? If so why would they have 8GB ones? Anyway going to give it a try. The manual does not mention a limit, but says if the card is not formatted it will format it when you put it in.

Also though their website says it is IP ready for remote video etc, the board has no lan connections and the manual makes no mention at all of networking. I contacted Video Domain using their online support page but it came back to me undeliverable! For this client It may not even be needed, but it could be easier in the future when accessing video instead of having to straighten up the housing, removing the bottom screw, then trying to get the mini SD card out of the slot, while its mounted like that on the wall - then after viewing the images on a PC, having to put it all back and readjust the camera.

2010 and no LAN ... thats a big disadvantage in my opinion.

Got a micro SD card kit with a mini SD adaptor but I think its larger than 2GB. Why do you say it might not work over 2GB? Is that a limitation with mini and micro SD cards? If so why would they have 8GB ones?

It's a limitation of the SD/MMC spec (MMC - MultiMedia Card - is the original spec that Secure Digital is based on). To get beyond 2GB, a modified spec, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) was introduced.

Problem is, even today, not all devices support SDHC. This same question comes up regularly in photography forums, BTW, from people whose cheap PCs have an SD slot that doesn't support their cameras' SDHC cards.

Anyway going to give it a try. The manual does not mention a limit, but says if the card is not formatted it will format it when you put it in.

See if the specs list "SDHC" anywhere... SD/SDHC cards normally come pre-formatted FAT32 so they should work out-of-the-box.

2010 and no LAN ... thats a big disadvantage in my opinion.

Probably a cost measure as much as anything else. I know these things aren't particularly cheap... LAN would just add to the cost.

I dont see SDHC anywhere, will have to live with the 1GB card for now, might pick up a 2GB one. Perhaps will leave it and then check it in a month to see how long it is recording for on the 1GB card. There is little to no traffic there anyway as its a hallway that just goes to an empty room. Occasionally workmen will go in there to access a small attic, rare though.

Also, accessing the images was not that bad.

Basically though it does not save raw images on the mini SD card, you need their program to read them.

I left the screw off the pivot mount in this case to make it easier to snap off and remove the mini SD card - the client in this case isnt going to go grab a screw driver and ladder for that. There is another camera right before entering this area so if anyone was to disable it we would know anyway, plus its just inside a private home.

So basically in this case, just remove it from the pivot, disconnect the power, then push the mini SD card in with a small thin object to allow it to spring back out, I used the mini to SD card adapter, then take it out and place it in the adapter and play it on the PC. So not that difficult. Then just click the memocam back into the pivot and push it tight against the wall its in the corner so its only going to fit one way anyway, and the picture is good.

I still dont like the fact that:

1-Their contact form email came back undeliverable

2-They claim it is IP ready yet it is not

3-It has such as short power cable, really, its just a few inches.

4-The pivot could be more adjustable

5-Its so big

For the record, I installed alot of various motion detectors over the years as I installed and serviced alarm systems.