Mr. Anonymous

Is this cable any good to use for CCTV applications?

I have this 4-line bundle cable that is 40-50ft long, never thought about it before but maybe I can save myself some $ and use this to connect another camera??

226655_1.jpg

I would cut the heat shrink off and separate it into four 40-50ft runs that can be connected to make two 80-100ft cables by either soldering or if there is zero quality loss a simple double male BNC coupler?? The cables say TTL HI-FREQUENCY SERIES 1081359 and according to Google it's "30V 80 celcius Hi-Resolution 75 OHM Low Attenuation AV Coaxial" is this some good stuff or what? Can it be used outdoors in the winter time at 0 degree Fahrenheit?

226655_2.jpg

I am only using an LCD television as a monitor so I could easily use a male BNC to male composite on the end like this right?!

226655_3.jpg

I am sure it is not outdoor rated but hey, you have 3 spares to replace it with.

Are you saying cold weather will make a cable "fail" rather than just become interfered?

I connected a red to the black on one end with the black going to my TV on the other end and the camera on the red to make an 80-100ft loop and I had zero quality loss.

I am sure it is not outdoor rated but hey, you have 3 spares to replace it with.

Are you saying cold weather will make a cable "fail" rather than just become interfered?

I connected a red to the black on one end with the black going to my TV on the other end and the camera on the red to make an 80-100ft loop and I had zero quality loss.

Cold or even extreme hot will not be a problem for just about any cable, the camera would fail long before your cable will. Some cables are just not made to be out in the elements year round. I have no idea if that one is or not and it will probably do just fine. It could take years to break it down anyway if it is not outdoor rated. Clearly that looks to be a high quality video cable so it would be perfectly fine for cctv use. Just about any analog video application would be fine for that cable.

I'm assuming it must be RG-59A/U or 3C-2V....could even be 5C-2V but does not look that think.

After doing some research it seems like you just need 75-ohm cable and the thickness and shielding depends on your application and budget or availability?

To make this easy and cheap since I am adding additional cameras I think its wise to just run all RG-6 since it has thinker shielding than CCTV cable and I was thinking RG-7 (1.30mm) but the extra thickness is not worth it...if 0.50-0.80mm CCTV cable works then 1.0mm (RG-6) should be more then enough. The only thing I need to decide is double or quad shielding RG-6

Sound good? Opinions?

I'm assuming it must be RG-59A/U or 3C-2V....could even be 5C-2V but does not look that think.

After doing some research it seems like you just need 75-ohm cable and the thickness and shielding depends on your application and budget or availability?

To make this easy and cheap since I am adding additional cameras I think its wise to just run all RG-6 since it has thinker shielding than CCTV cable and I was thinking RG-7 (1.30mm) but the extra thickness is not worth it...if 0.50-0.80mm CCTV cable works then 1.0mm (RG-6) should be more then enough. The only thing I need to decide is double or quad shielding RG-6

Sound good? Opinions?

I have made numerous posts in the past addressing the deficiencies of RG6 for cctv use. To keep it brief RG6 is designed for RF noise rejection (above 50Mhz) NOT cctv baseband around 5.5Mhz. Now various people have mentioned an RG6 designed for cctv but I am yet to see it.

Regardless , the specs are out there so do your homework and live with the results.