swade

cctv question from a newbie

I hope someone can help me here. I install home theater, flat screens etc. I have a house that is pre-wired for 6 cameras (coax and 2 conductor). The customer said at his old house his camera system was hooked up to his pc , and he would like to do that here. Also he would like to be able to monitor the cameras on multiple tv's through out the house. He wants to use the pc as a DVR but is not worried about internet accessibility. Can anyone help with suggestions on equipment that would be needed to do this, also some decent night vision cameras with zoom capabilities??

There are many ways to do what you are asking. Each have their own advantages, and disavantages.

First would be knowing what kind of a budget you are working with, and then using the "teeter totter" method to put a parts list together.

First I would find out how he went about doing this with his old house. If it worked for him then, it should work for him again. There is also the fact that there will not be much training as he would be familiar with it rather than putting him in to some new equipment, or a new technology, and then you would have to spend the extra time with training, and then getting those phone calls where you have to "troubleshoot" in your head to determine why the system is not fuctioning, and you have to guide him through something that he is unfamiliar with.

If I could not duplicate what he had before, then I would put him in to some equipment, or technology that I am familiar with. When he calls with a problem you will know real quick how to get him going fast, or you will be able to go there, and troubleshoot the problem easily.

I would recommend using a DVR that has an internet setup. This will allow you to hook all of the cameras up to one "box", and it will do the recording for you, and you can access the video live, or recorded from any PC in the house, or from somewhere else.

As for watching the the cameras on any TV:

In the old days this was extremly simple as all you had to do was modulate the cameras on different tv channels.

Nowadays it can be a real hair pulling event! Cable system have migrated from analog to digital, and it is not so simple to throw a modulated signal in to the system. Sometimes you can get a good modulated system going, but find that you have "crashed" the digital cable system!!

Here is a quick work around for new, or retro installations:

http://channelvision.com/index/15/25

http://www.channelvision.com/pdf/flyers/affinitycut.pdf

Please excuse me for dividing up this answer among various posts.

I have been told that two power plants are shut down, and that they are going to be bring down the whole grid for the state of Florida.

I wanted to submit what I have already typed before my battery back up system runs out. I did not realize that we have been running on battery back up! Every business in Melbourne is freeking out that depends on their computers, or the internet for business.

Edited by Guest

The question that I have is "how well do you know computers"?

If you read the DVR Card Section then you can see how difficult the do it yourselfers have it with the cheap equipment, and you can also see how difficult it can be for the pros to set up the "perfect" system.

If the customer is using the computer for other things then I would discourage you from using it.

If it is a "media system" then I would discourage it as well. I would recommend a stand alone PC based DVR.

I would recommend a Geo Vision card, or an Avermedia system.

Edited by Guest

What price range did you have in mind for the night vision cameras?

For a cheap budget system then you cannot do as you have asked. You can have night vision, or you can have zoom capabilities.

For a high end system with a big budget then I would use PTZ cameras, and I would have electricians install lighting through out the area that needs viewing. You can use a variety of lighting such as lights on fancy poles, and you could use plant scape lighting as well. Up lights in trees, and border lights can be used. The more lighting you use the better your video is going to look. I would even put lights inside of garden products. What I mean is to look at the Christmas cottages in a village scene where you install a small light bulb inside of the house. When you look at the village with your house lights turned off you can see how well lit the village is.

I was curious to know what kind of coax was ran for the cameras. Strip back the coax, and hope that you have a solid copper center. If it is copper clad center conductor then you may, or may not have problems with the video.

What do you think?