floordog

Remote ip video surveillance using "Client-server"

Many CCTV surveillance applications and solutions require the use of so-called Server and Client locations. Applications include remotely viewing a business, residence or other security function. There are two ways to record the video: At the server (camera location) or at another location, usually called the "client". These systems encourage the use of all camera technologies from composite cameras, USB cameras and ip cameras such as the low-priced and excellent value, Arecont.

Several advances in motion detection software allow cameras or Video Motion Detection devices (VMD's) to do the hard work of descrimination of moving targets. VMD is the first stage of video analytics.

So we now have excellent cameras that use all of the above technologies (Arecont, Mobotix, IQinvision, Avigilon, Lumenara) and excellent video recording solutions from PC based DVR's (hardware and software (Lux Riot, Milestone), or low priced Network servers in U1, U2 and U3 form factors.

What is the problem? The problem is and has always been the problems with the video alarm notification. False alarms produce a lot of "ghost chasing" and don't give our industry a good name.

The solution is NOT more advances in video analytics. Video analytics is fine, but HOW IS THIS INFORMATION transmitted?

So the problem then becomes the "notification" process in unattended or unmanaged systems (no security guard watching the videos).

One solution is by the use of so-called Short Message Service (SMS). The video motion detection feature of the camera (Arecont) or software (Milestone) transmits an SMS message that motion is detected that would be a start. Presently IQinvision has both SMTP (email) and FTP servers built in to their 750 and Sentinel model ip cameras. Milestone has an SMTP (email) server but this is not fast enough. CCTV security video and alarm notification is competing with SPAM for bandwidth if it is ever deployed on a larger commercial network like the internet. Email can be fast or take days.

A technical solution was developed by INTERTRAFF in Italy with their Intertraff-DVR video recording software. This software automatically sends SMS (Short Message Service also called text messages) as well as MMS (Multimedia Message Service---images or photos) as well as SMTP (email) to anyone on a callout list. Free demos of the MMS-DVR software are on their website. Well if the software has been invented, why can't we use it?

The problem, is that European cellphone networks are transparent to this technology. The most common system in Europe is GSM. In the US we have several competing systems.

In Europe, the cell phone companies don't charge for useage on both ends of the transaction like in the US. Recently, American cell carriers have been publishing gateways to their SMS services. So if you want to send an SMS mesage to someone wioth a Verizon phone, go to a PC connected to the internet, visit the Verizon site and send the SMS message.

Only recently the major US carriers are supporting interoperability with their SMS systems. Now for the interesting stuff.

The MMS gateways are not so easy to find.

]If some really smart software company talked with the carriers to get gateway support it would be awesome.Imagine unattended CCTV cameras recording events as defined and automatically sending images eiothjer when requested or in the event of a VMD event, or better yet, a panic alarm.[/color]

Police would not have to wait for larm verification and reverification. One city in Florida has a new 911 system that allows for text messaging of emergencies --it saves money on the dispatch side and speed up response.

In the US, one company claims to have this MMS capability.

Memocam and their Memocam D Vcop product will automatically send images upon VMD detection via the AT&T (Cingular) network.

But the Memocams leave lot to be desired. You must use their cameras.

What we need in the US is a recording software that has "client" and "server" as well as SMS and MMS notification via VMD similar to the Intertraff software or memocam.

If this software is developed there will be a tide of new cctv installations. Customers always ask: "How do I know if there is a crime?" You have to wait for the crime to be over, or watch the action on monitors "live" , but this costs lots of money to staff.

Millions can be saved by not being forced to pay people to stare at monitors all day. Let the technology handle the "stupid stuff". Save the human monitoring for the important security requirements where it is needed.

Please someone out there, we need SMS and MMS servers in our VMD software. Intertraff and MEMOCAM--Hooray for you ---but your software only works on Europe GSM networks or with a dedicated camera (Memocam).

the problem is two things poor software with no IO capability and poor motion

detection. there should be options for the server to send a relay contact signal

to the client, And also motion detection with more advanced controls so you can fine tune out false alarms.

It`s all good tho the 3G networks allow you to send live streamed video real-time but you have to make sure your false alarm rate is very low

the best solution I have found is a hard wired [combo passive-IR-microwave] sensor at the area you are protecting -this drops the false alarm rate down to 99.99% /not much

my 2c

:idea: Many CCTV surveillance applications and solutions require the use of so-called Server and Client locations. Applications include remotely viewing a business, residence or other security function. There are two ways to record the video: At the server (camera location) or at another location, usually called the "client". These systems encourage the use of all camera technologies from composite cameras, USB cameras and ip cameras such as the low-priced and excellent value, Arecont.

Several advances in motion detection software allow cameras or Video Motion Detection devices (VMD's) to do the hard work of descrimination of moving targets. VMD is the first stage of video analytics.

So we now have excellent cameras that use all of the above technologies (Arecont, Mobotix, IQinvision, Avigilon, Lumenara) and excellent video recording solutions from PC based DVR's (hardware and software (Lux Riot, Milestone), or low priced Network servers in U1, U2 and U3 form factors.

What is the problem? The problem is and has always been the problems with the video alarm notification. False alarms produce a lot of "ghost chasing" and don't give our industry a good name.

The solution is NOT more advances in video analytics. Video analytics is fine, but HOW IS THIS INFORMATION transmitted?

So the problem then becomes the "notification" process in unattended or unmanaged systems (no security guard watching the videos).

One solution is by the use of so-called Short Message Service (SMS). The video motion detection feature of the camera (Arecont) or software (Milestone) transmits an SMS message that motion is detected that would be a start. Presently IQinvision has both SMTP (email) and FTP servers built in to their 750 and Sentinel model ip cameras. Milestone has an SMTP (email) server but this is not fast enough. CCTV security video and alarm notification is competing with SPAM for bandwidth if it is ever deployed on a larger commercial network like the internet. Email can be fast or take days.

A technical solution was developed by INTERTRAFF in Italy with their Intertraff-DVR video recording software. This software automatically sends SMS (Short Message Service also called text messages) as well as MMS (Multimedia Message Service---images or photos) as well as SMTP (email) to anyone on a callout list. Free demos of the MMS-DVR software are on their website. Well if the software has been invented, why can't we use it?

The problem, is that European cellphone networks are transparent to this technology. The most common system in Europe is GSM. In the US we have several competing systems.

In Europe, the cell phone companies don't charge for useage on both ends of the transaction like in the US. Recently, American cell carriers have been publishing gateways to their SMS services. So if you want to send an SMS mesage to someone wioth a Verizon phone, go to a PC connected to the internet, visit the Verizon site and send the SMS message.

Only recently the major US carriers are supporting interoperability with their SMS systems. Now for the interesting stuff.

The MMS gateways are not so easy to find.

]If some really smart software company talked with the carriers to get gateway support it would be awesome.Imagine unattended CCTV cameras recording events as defined and automatically sending images eiothjer when requested or in the event of a VMD event, or better yet, a panic alarm.[/color]

Police would not have to wait for larm verification and reverification. One city in Florida has a new 911 system that allows for text messaging of emergencies --it saves money on the dispatch side and speed up response.

In the US, one company claims to have this MMS capability.

Memocam and their Memocam D Vcop product will automatically send images upon VMD detection via the AT&T (Cingular) network.

But the Memocams leave lot to be desired. You must use their cameras.

What we need in the US is a recording software that has "client" and "server" as well as SMS and MMS notification via VMD similar to the Intertraff software or memocam.

If this software is developed there will be a tide of new cctv installations. Customers always ask: "How do I know if there is a crime?" You have to wait for the crime to be over, or watch the action on monitors "live" , but this costs lots of money to staff.

Millions can be saved by not being forced to pay people to stare at monitors all day. Let the technology handle the "stupid stuff". Save the human monitoring for the important security requirements where it is needed.

Please someone out there, we need SMS and MMS servers in our VMD software. Intertraff and MEMOCAM--Hooray for you ---but your software only works on Europe GSM networks or with a dedicated camera (Memocam).

In my experience the falses come from the analisys and not from the alarm signal transmission. Waiting for SMS messages is the last option I would be looking at. Making the systems smart enough to tell motion from lighting changes from percipitation. Thats where all my falses come from and could be dealt with although some very complex and complicated.

EDIT:

DVR software that only runs on Windows yet doesn't install as a system service totally hacks me off too. The server client relationship so be in effect on the local user session too.

Well, If you read my post, you will realize that NO NVR software manufacturer produces software that meets ALL the needs of the cctv profession. I got tired of waiting for the software development, so I hired software engineers to design it for me. FROM SCRATCH! The first design runs on Windows---I am beta testing it now. I love the excellent refresh rates on MP cameras!

Here are the features:

It can handle CCTV Megapixel ip cameras to 8 MP for each camera. It has the full complement of features such as I/O interface for alarm sensors, SMTP, MMS and SMS servers for alarm notification/verification. The remote client can use ANY OS including Windows, Macintosh, many Linux distributions and Unix. It is designed to use minimal microprocessor requirements. As a result you won't need a quad core running at 110%!! That means I can use very small lightweight PC's as an NVR server. Currently my server was written for Windows machines but I am also having it designed for the other OS's. The key feature is to save microprocessor cycles by utilizing - whenever possible- the camera's own firmware motion detection. This means that this feature which at present is not utilized by most NVR's will be a major factor in deciding which MFG/model camera to use. Motion detection will now be a required part of the mission application camera decision matrix. The only feature lacking will be POS. The system is designed to handle up to 30fps in MPEG4, MJPEG, D-JPEG and H264. The client software is by using the browser only. A port will open at the NVR server to automatically upload the required software to the client location. I am also working on a multiple streaming capability so that an enterprise ip (and MP) CCTV system can be done completely via a remote NVR. The rate limiting steps include the CCTV local LAN properties at the location of the cameras and bandwidth connecting to the "cloud". My goal is 256 cameras on the server side. My engineers say this can be done.

In my application, you can run ip cameras at several different locations from a remote NVR. This can save a huge amount of costs in the intsallation. The ultimate goal is complete "PLUG AND PLAY" type of performance.

Emphasis is on using managed POE network switches at the install location. As long as the camera/camera housings can be limited to 14.5 watts per POE port, my goal can be achieved. I plan on a per camera headroom of 900ma= 15.4 watts. Analysis of most ip outdoor housings is that they have NOT BEEN optimized for POE. The simpler the better. We have modified some outdoor housings so they draw less than 10 watts. The remaining power (4.5 watts) can be dedicated to the POE ip camera, so that it can meet the current 802.3 A-F specification. The newer POE spec will include up to 30 watts for full function PTZ ip cameras with heating and cooling features.

One version of the software is designed to be written to an EEPROM.

Please contact me if you would like to test a beta of this software. We intend to have no annual fees or licenses and no MAC address fees/licenses. I am planning on a single user fee based on using a single MAC address for the life of the product. Additional fees for updates may be applied after the first year to defray development costs. The first ip cameras to be supported include the most popular MP ip cameras. Arecont, Acti AND Axis. Full PTZ operation is also planned. Our first version of PTZ has been developed. The software may also be available for Unix based FREE BSD. Full duplex audio is also a feature for selected camera models such as Mobotix, Axis and Acti.

When my software is available it will have an immediate affect on NVR pricing. That means prices must come down to planet earth!!! Price should NOT be the reason a family can not be protected with the latest CCTV ip MP security technology. Yes, FAMILY. My marketing target is the low end consumer, not the enterprise. All cameras an equipment will be "enterprise" quality. Yes, "installed prices" are coming down.

I have recently completed two "megapixel only" ip cctv installations at 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of typical System Integrator prices.

Please let me know what features you need while my first WIN based NVR is being developed.

If you can think of it, let me now. We don't plan on extensive video analytics until the camera MFG analytics standards are developed. I speculate we will be using some type of h 264 codec. My NVR software works well on a Core 2 Duo Megarecorder with 8 mp ip channels. We will optimize to use low powered microprocessors. I have one working on a Geode!

FD

The complication here is that European cellphone networks are transparent to this technology. The most common system in Europe is GSM. In the US we have several competing systems. IP Video Surveillance in European countries will have to use GSM services to be accessed remotely.

For more information, visit http://ipctech.com/video-surveillance