cctvfan

How to mount a dome on ceiling tiles?

What is the proper way to mount a vandal dome (flush-mount) on dropped ceilling tiles -- those used in an office?

Are we supposd to let the tile bear the weight of a dome, or do we need to suspend the dome from some structure above? If so, how, given the dome does not have any special mounting accessories for this purpsoe.

Thanks.

Do you have a specific manufacturer dome in mind? There are several mounting hardware available dependent who makes the dome. Sometimes you can use 2'x2' plates that replaces the drop tile ceiling that will hold the dome, sometime there are other hardware that will secure the dome's position on the drop tile. It all depends on the weight of the dome and what mounting hardware available from the manufacturer.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Levon

I am looking at domes from EverFocus, National Electronics and Capture. As you can tell, none in the high-end. Perhaps this explains why they don't have good mounting options.

Thanks!

You can get the mounting options from other manufacturers.

What size is the dome enclosure? Meaning the cut out part of it used for flush mounting.

ROry

Rory,

The cut-out / flush part has a diameter of 3.6 inches, although the dome itself (polycarbonate part) is 4 inches. I remember you sent me a few cool links for "exotic" housings before when I was looking for compact camera housings. Nice if you could do something similar again. Thanks in advance.

ok, I just stopped in for a second, have to run back out, when I get back later on today, I will get you some links.

Rory

Ive never seen anything in 4" for Flush mount. I guess you could make y our own, just get a harder tile like heavy plastic, and cut out the hole to the size needed.

Rory, thanks for checking. I'll take an easier path (cheating a bit) and relocate the cams to either walls or pillars, so I can wall-mount instead.

But these relatively cheap domes don't have a 3-position swivel base, and must be mounted "face down" due to the lack of degrees of freedom. So I still need to make myself a angular adapter (unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't even produce a pendant mount accessory).

But for me making an L-shaped bracket is MUCH LESS CHALLENGING than cutting a circular hole on a drop ceiling tile - FYI I can't even install pot lights

If we want to wall mount small domes we use some small L shaped brackets that are marketed in the U.K as "bookends" by B&Q stores.

They are sheet steel, come in black, silver or ivory & cost less than £4.00 for a pair.

Its not worth the effort of making them at that price & they look professional.

If you are not in the U.K perhaps you can find something similar

Baywatch, I wish I were living in the UK. I was at Home Depot yesterday (a home improvement store in North America) and the closest thing I found was brackets for framing backyard fences. Very ugly for my purpose, and still won't work out well (funny holes, etc.)

I'll start hunting for the "book ends" you've described in the security stores here.

You need to look for fancy shelf brackets for childrens bedrooms or living rooms etc.

Here we would find these in a DIY store, I'm not sure about the USA, maybe a large department or furniture store.

I don't think you will find them in a security store.

Another thought, maybe a HiFi store has suitable small speaker brackets?

You need to look for fancy shelf brackets for childrens bedrooms or living rooms etc.

Here we would find these in a DIY store, I'm not sure about the USA, maybe a large department or furniture store.

I don't think you will find them in a security store.

Another thought, maybe a HiFi store has suitable small speaker brackets?

Thanks for the tips! I didn't know you mean bookends literally. Since you were putting it in quotes, I thought it's a nickname for some real brackets for security cameras.

I just grabbed a couple of bookends from my bookcase (SteelMaster Lit-Ning, made in USA St Louis) and they fit PERFECTLY one of my surface mount domes (the National Elec one which has a square non-circular base).

It's EXACTLY 4.75" x 4.75", and the large cut-out area in the center allows me to run wires from the back of the dome. Awesome!

Thanks for your creative idea!!! Going to Staples now to restock a few more