DietSpam

Looking to install CCTV in my car...

Hi,

I'm looking to install some sort of Camera in my Car to point my back left window. The reason for this is some one keeps writing his name on my back left door.

I don't know anything about CCTV. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good camera with night vision (as it's at night this person does it) that also records. Maybe records to a usb device that i can then connect into my computer and view?

I'd appreciate any help as I've getting tired of having to clean permanent marker off my door.

I've had a look on Ebay and there are tons, but like i said, i haven't a clue about CCTV systems.

Sorry if this is the wrong section for help.

I do not support ebay cards as most of them are clones.

We dealers pay several times more than the ebay prices you see for true cards and software.

some one keeps writing his name on my back left door.

Perhaps you can get them to leave their address and phone number as well.

Won't a domestic camcorder do what you want? CCTV can get pretty expensive. A night or two spend in the back seat with a baseball bat might be a lot cheaper.

For one-time use, trying to recognise a person that you probably know already, any cheapo ebay camera will do the trick. Bear in mind that IR light shining through glass is usually problematic, and you'd get better results with the camera (or at least the light source) outside the car.

Where is the car parked, campared to the house? Any reason you can't just mount a camera on the house and run it to a VCR with a 4-hour tape on long play? For a one-off even that would work fine.

When people ask me about preventing crime with CCTV in a residential setting I usually tell them that 'preventing crime' and 'cctv' are two different layers in your overall security plan. Try to prevent crime by installing motion lights, driveway monitor, cutting back bushed, stronger locks etc. CCTV might (not *will*) help you identify the perpetrator, but only after the crime has been comitted. Your primary goal should be to prevent the crime. If you feel that extra security etc would not stop the crime THEN go to CCTV. Also bear in mind tht identifying the perpetrator may not do you any good. If it's a local kid then what are you gonna do? Will the police pursue it? Are the parents gonna care enough to do anything about it?

yep even if you get a great shot the police will say "oh yerr him he steals a lot -he`s got no fixed address ! "

I would go for one of those cheap Ebay SD based DVRs that has motion detection and stick a 4Gb card in it.

You cant point an IR camera thru the glass it will reflect back -you will need a separate cam and IR light for night .

If its during the day a pin hole lens color cam should do the trick...

As part of a "system" and "layers" of protection you can try to park your vehicle in a non paved area, and then use one of those devices that is used for PaintBall Wars. It is called a land mine, and you fill it with a color, and when someone steps on the device then it will "coat" the person in colored paint. This would help law enforcement when they stop someone, and they want to question him as to their where abouts. If they are coated in paint then they cannot deny they were on site!!

What do you think?