aman2006

hello from UK

Hi all

I am completely new to cctv, but handing with PC, DIY, electrical work etc. I am in the UK.

After having a break-in at my house I am trying to get all security measures possible, but keeping the cost low by doing all the work myself. (As can not afford to spend alot at the moment due to the robbery). We have got a professional home alarm system fitted which is monitored so most of the budget went on that. Would also like to add a bit of CCTV to the front of the house. I am not sure what route to take. 1-2 camera's at the front is good, and I have a PC in the loft which make all the wiring to be routed easy. However, dont know where to start, what software of hardware i need?? or can i just get one of these micromark heavy duty camera which connect via SCART and connect to a dvd recorder that will record for a couple of days and than just re-write? is that possible? dont have to have a screen, can just take dvd out and watch on normal tv if i need to.

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!!

You will need to post your question here...

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewforum.php?f=3

As to your question. I do not think you can use a DVD recorder. I truely do not know as I have never used one. Will it go to "sleep" in a couple of hours leaving you with only a couple of hours of video? What is the internal memory storage size? If you are recording to disk then you will be changing a lot of disks to record, and you will be reviewing a lot of disk to look for problems.

I would recommend a dedicated DVR designed for security purposes. There are many out there that are very cheap, and are great for home, and low level threat situations. You will need to have a large size Hard Drive if you want to keep a weeks worth of video, or more.

You are welcome to download various pdf from this site so that you will have an informed decision before you buy.

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

Good Luck!