si_kungs

software compression card vs hardware compression card

Little to no CPU use while recording, less burnden on the entire machine but specifically the PCI bus and CPU.

i see. so the minimum requirement of pc for hardware compression will be lower than that of the software compression card?

Yes! But you can also use same as on a software system and in teory it will work better/longer more stable and so on!

JD

i see. so the minimum requirement of pc for hardware compression will be lower than that of the software compression card?

It may be a while before you see hardware support for IP technologies so the point is getting to be not as big a deal.

Hi!

HikVision cards (Hardware compression) and software application already have systems supporting IP cams as well as HikVision own H.264 IP Modules/IP Cams. I know at least 1 software using HikVision cards that supporting up too 3 825 IP cams on same NVR/DVR but offcourse due to limitiation on hardware/bandwith you can not see video from them all at one time, but they can be connected to the system.

JD

It may be a while before you see hardware support for IP technologies so the point is getting to be not as big a deal.

Those systems aren't compressing the video, it's coming in on their own h.264 format.

Few do realtime transcoding, a bunch do no transcoding at all.