quarryworks

Need advice on alarm-triggering CCTV system

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me sort out a CCTV/alarm system for our timber store. Firstly, a bit about our situation:-

•I live in a flat directly on top of our workshop.

•The timber store is built on the side of the workshop, therefore not directly underneath the flat (difficult to hear things going on in the store)

•Access to the flat and the timber store is in the back of the yard, away from houses, the main road and street lights.

•At the moment, access to the timber store is an ancient roller shutter, the chain sort that allows people to see in. This, combined with being away from neighbours' eyes and ears makes it a bit of a haven for thieves.

•The flat has no windows to the back of the yard which means I can't see what's going on without opening the front door. I'd rather the thieves do not realise I live there.

Now, what I would like is some sort of CCTV system in the timber store, viewable in my flat. If anyone is sniffing around or breaking in to the timber store, I want some sort of soft alarm to wake me so I can check the CCTV and call the police if necessary. We're very strapped for cash at the moment, so I want a cheap and cheerful method that is going to do the job.

How would you go about this? I was thinking of maybe motion-triggered flood lights inside and outside the timber store, along with one of those cheap (~£100) four camera wireless eBay systems, positioning cameras at all the crucial points. Instead of using the probably rubbish night vision, the lights would come on and the system start recording. But how would I be woken up? Would I hook the camera system up to my PC through a DVR card and use surveillance software with motion detection (if so, which package?), or would it be better to get some sort of standalone recorder? (If so, would they have some sort of alert function and what would you recommend?) One thing that concerns me about these wireless systems though is if the signal would be good enough to reach my flat. On average, the cameras would have to send a signal approx. 10m to me in the flat, through a stone wall. I also understand these tend to run on 2.4GHz, which is the same as my wireless access point. Perhaps wireless would not be the best option?

I hope I've made things clear and sorry if the post is a bit long-winded, any questions please ask and I'll do my best to explain.

Looking forward to reading what you have to say, thanks in advance!

Any ideas?

I was hoping to get a system in place for the weekend. We had a break-in both Saturday and Sunday night last week and I'm wondering if they will come back this weekend. Fortunately they didn't make it away with anything valuable - on the Saturday attempt they tried to take our industrial car battery charger but couldn't fit it under the shutter they had jacked up. We realised the next day what they were after and moved it. We fixed the shutter as best we could, then weighed it down with a 4 ton forklift truck! What we didn't account for was the thieves coming back with bolt cutters the following night and literally cutting themselves a door. This time they couldn't take the charger so they got away with a few other things of no real value to us. Unfortunately I didn't hear them to call the police.

Replacing the shutter would be obvious, but we don't have a lot of cash at the moment and to be honest there are so many other points they can break-in with ease. I think an alarm and CCTV system would be the best bet at the moment, until we can secure the whole place properly.

Edited by Guest

I would at least get started with the motion detectors and floodlights that you had mentioned in your first post and maybe run an alarm from one of the motion sensors to your flat.

I would at least get started with the motion detectors and floodlights that you had mentioned in your first post and maybe run an alarm from one of the motion sensors to your flat.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I recently got hold of a load of floodlights on CEE plugs, just need to get some sensors to activate them now. I'll take a look on eBay and see what I can find. In the meantime, do you have any particular sensor recommendations?

How about a landmine similiar to these if they are walking on the property?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintball_equipment#Paint_mines

Paint mines

Paint mines are simulated land mines for use in Paintball. Several devices have been designed to spray paint over an area when triggered by passing players. Some of these devices are placed on the ground where, once a person steps on them, forces paint to shoot up and around the target marking the stepper and any nearby teammates. Another, rarely used form of mine functions with tripwires. Placed hidden on a tree or bush, the trip wire extends over a much larger area. Once tripped; a pin is released, like a paint grenade, the paint is forced out through the tight narrow tubes which shower the area with paint. Precise methods of spraying paint or triggering the mine vary; however, due to insurance reasons, no paint mines use any sort of explosive.

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/store-products-MP-M80TR-M80-TR_40342059.html

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/store-products-MP-Master-Master-Mine_5633676.html

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/product_detail.asp?SKU=611+0006&CAT=114202

Can we load the land mine with NAPALM?? We could set out pungi sticks too!

OOPS! Sorry! I got a little carried away! LOL!

Edited by Guest

I think you need to rethink your Budget !

I personally would steer clear of motion detectors unless you like having disturbed sleep. The problem with spending low £££ or $$$ on a cheap system is you will get tired of the false alarms then switch it off completly.

I would install a set of infra red beams across the yard, these if set up correctly do not get triggered by cats, foxes, rain etc. You can run a cable back to the flat and get it to trigger a buzzer and/or trigger CCTV

A set of beams range from £100 - £220 Power Supply £20 Buzzer £5

Another option is a PIR with Voice Warning - this plays a warning message on detection

Good Hunting !

Thanks for the ideas guys, particularly the napalm.

I think beams outside and PIR inside would be a good start.

What would you suggest for a low budget CCTV system?

If you use beams you should stack at least 2 of them.

To switch the lights on buy a relay board rated for you AC supply. Wire it so that it is activated when one of the beams is triggered. The relay board must have a timer function. I can't post links but search Home Automation web site.