pteam

New member - with questions!

Hey guys.

I own a limo company. Currently have a DVR viewable over the internet that can handle 16 cameras. I currently have 6 cameras setup.

I had a Dlink DCS-6620 internet camera with no DVR before, and the camera stopped rotating first, then stopped working completely. Will dlink fix this for free under warranty? I emailed them with no response. If I do get this fixed can I add this into my current DVR setup?

The Dlink camera had a very clear picture where the current DVR with cameras does not. The dlink also had digital zoom. If I plug this into my current system would it show that picture perfect picture again with the new setup?

With the current setup its hard to even tell who the person is alot of times. Is this limited by the actual DVR or internet connection or the cameras? We're currently on DSL that is 1.5-3.0 mbps and being upgraded to 3.0-6.0 mbps on Tuesday (the highest speed offered) will this help? Will buying high res cameras give better picture?

Also I don't know what kind of DVR it is at the moment but the internet login / software page that I view everyday to see the cameras has the title of "--- Video Web Server ---" as the title. The login page says :Any time & Any where IP Surveillance New Generation ......Video Web Server: And is run by java . com. Anybody know what this is?

I'm currently getting anywhere from 2-5 FPS and DR: 650 KBPS pretty steady (whats DR stand for?) I have set all the settings on the menu that I can find, quality is High, I set the baud rate to the highest setting although it didnt seem to change anything whether it was low or high. What can I do to get better quality over the internet? I watch these cameras everyday!

Thanks in advance!!!!

I had a Dlink DCS-6620 internet camera with no DVR before, and the camera stopped rotating first, then stopped working completely. Will dlink fix this for free under warranty? I emailed them with no response. If I do get this fixed can I add this into my current DVR setup?

If it is under warranty they should fix it. You should take it back from where you bought it with the receipt.

The Dlink camera had a very clear picture where the current DVR with cameras does not. The dlink also had digital zoom. If I plug this into my current system would it show that picture perfect picture again with the new setup?

I have never used this DLink camera so it may be better for others to answer this question.

The DLink is digital, and you are viewing it over the internet. The cameras are analog, and they connect to the DVR using line level video. I cannot figure out what kind of DVR you have, and it would not surprise me if it was an AVTech DVR.

Inexpensive DVRs will have this quality problem. Let me paint a picture for you.

The Dlink is like looking at Niagra Falls. It is beautiful to look at. The Dlink is not recording, and I can only assume that you are not recording.

The DVR is storing video for you to have the ablility to look back to see what was going on.

With the DVR lets take that beautiful Niagra Falls, and lets divert it, and let it stream in to your DVR!! Yikes! That is a lot of water!! How do you store so much water???

This is the same with video. What they do is they compress the video to save storage space on hard drives.

There are many DVR manufactures, and there are bad algorithms, and there are good algorithms. Cheap verses expensive, and somewhere inbetween.

With the current setup its hard to even tell who the person is alot of times. Is this limited by the actual DVR or internet connection or the cameras? We're currently on DSL that is 1.5-3.0 mbps and being upgraded to 3.0-6.0 mbps on Tuesday (the highest speed offered) will this help? Will buying high res cameras give better picture?

All of the above. You may have wide angle cameras. This will be the first obstacle to facial recognition. You need to have the video look like the 6 O clock news. From the shoulders up! The compression ratio is the next key to facial recognition.

Better cameras, better DVRs, and better design, and installation is the key.

Also I don't know what kind of DVR it is at the moment but the internet login / software page that I view everyday to see the cameras has the title of "--- Video Web Server ---" as the title. The login page says :Any time & Any where IP Surveillance New Generation ......Video Web Server: And is run by java . com. Anybody know what this is?

Go to this website

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down till you see Video Server E with a blue box. Does this look like yours?? If yes then it is an AVTech DVR, if no then we will have to figure it out from there.

I'm currently getting anywhere from 2-5 FPS and DR: 650 KBPS pretty steady (whats DR stand for?) I have set all the settings on the menu that I can find, quality is High, I set the baud rate to the highest setting although it didnt seem to change anything whether it was low or high. What can I do to get better quality over the internet? I watch these cameras everyday!

You can try a DVR similiar to this:

http://icrealtime.com/solutions/dvrfx.asp

Video is Excellant, and over the internet the Video is incredible!!

Baud rate is refering to something else. This is the communications protocal for Pan Tilt, and Zoom Cameras (PTZ) I assume.

How about Networkable Video Recorder, and using nothing but IP camera?

This would give you the quality that you are demanding!

You sound like you are a computer expert, and you know what you are doing!

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression

I will try to crawl on top of our office today and read what kind of DVR it is. I paid over $1000 for the DVR and setup, it has 16 camera capacity, so I'd rather not change it out, possibly just get the best quality out of it and the cameras.

Scorpion Thanks for your reply. That blue login box by video server E is not my login box. There was no name on the DVR that I could find. My DVR does have a sticker that says DMR16-RT, and a SN: 7GZ10226 . Here is a pic of the dvr, sorry bad quality: cell phone pic on top of the actual office with low light up there:

Sorry it seems I cant post pics til I'm a member for 10 days , can somebody post these for me:

firstclasslimos dot net/dvr.jpg

firstclasslimos dot net/dvr2.jpg

firstclasslimos dot net/dvr3.jpg

How much is the ICrealtime DVR flexview with 8 or 16 camera ability? How big is the Hard drive? This is actually the 2nd dvr I have bought, so if I changed again it would be my 3rd! Hopefully they could sell on ebay? Would a new DVR make a big difference? What exactly controls the image quality on the DVR, is there a image chip I can change on the current DVR I have? Anybody else have advice?

My FPS varies every second, one sec its 4.7fps , then 3.6fps, then 4.5, etc. Why is this? Is this because of the internet connection its uploaded from?

The problem is if somebody broke in, the quality is so bad you can't make out the persons face, why is this? There are lots of good DVR cards on ebay for a few hundred bucks and 240FPS with 16 channels but I think they're for a computer, not a stand alone DVR? Or does my stand alone DVR have the same chip in it? Is it an actual image card on the DVR? Can I just replace this?

After finding some more settings in record the DVR is set to 120 IPS (I think same thing as FPS) which seems good for only 6 camears running,

So it appears I'm recording at 120 FPS but again when I view it over the internet its only 2-5 fps. Is this based on internet connections? If I plugged a monitor up to the actual DVR itself would it show me live real time feed that you could actual make out peoples faces really good? What do your videos look like when viewing them over the internet? Also I would be willing to give my login information for somebody to view over the internet and tell me their expert advice , I tried to PM rory the site owner but it seems my PMs are disable too.

It would be much better if I could get better quality without having to sell everything I have! haha

Thank you very much for your time in advance!

I would suggest checking each individual camera shot on your monitor to see what is showing compared to what you are seeing through your dvr, connect each camera to the monitor directly. If the shots are better than what you see with the dvr, then place all settings in the dvr menu to the highest or best settings and see if it improves. You should be able to change the record fps(ips) in the dvr menu. I am not familiar with your dvr but according to the on line manual these are settings that you can do. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! I've already set all the DVR settings to the best settings that I can find, FPS/IPS is at the highest 120. Yet when I view it over the internet it only shows 2-5 FPS.

No matter how fast the DVR can push out images for the internet (no idea on that model) your main limiting factor is going to be your internet connections upload speed at the DVR usually.

On most (at least in the UK) broadband/high speed connections your download speed (ie downloading webpages) is always a lot faster than your upload speed (the speed at which you can push information onto the internet).

For example, the broadband service I use, shows that my speeds at present are 7968Kbs for downloading, but only 448kbs for uploading.

Your DVR is uploading to the internet, so that is likely to be the bottleneck.

Usually the only ways to get faster fps, is to either get a much faster service, or reduce the resolution viewed over the internet, or change the codec or codec settings if possible, but usually there is a tradeof the faster the lower the quality, as you cant squeeze a quart into a pint pot, or whatever the old saying is

For those of you guys that are viewing cameras over the internet: Can you make out faces really well? How good is your quality? Anybody want to view my cameras over the internet? I will give you the login and password for your imput!

When you were on my website you would have seen your DVR.

The DMR16-RT is an AVTech AVC 787. It would have been the 2nd, or 3rd down.

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

This was probably sold by SuperCircuits. They no longer carry these DVRs.

Over the internet this DVR is not going to give you D1 resolution with crisp, and clear pictures. It was not built to do so.

If internet viewing is of the essence, then I would install the ICRealtime product. Others may install another brand.

What kind of camera do you have?

Let's look at the video monitor on site. Go to a channel where you will see someone.

To cover their face do you use a fingertip, or do you have to use your hand to cover their face? Let me know!

If you use a finger then you have the wrong lens for that application.

If you have to use your whole hand, or perhaps even better you have to use both hands to cover the face on the screen, then that is great!

What you should be looking for is the 6 O Clock news. You just need a "talking head".

Wide angle cameras are the worst for facial recognition.

Forget about what is looks like over the internet. If you are watching over the internet, and something catches your eye then you have the actual video stored on the DVR. When you retrieve that video you will get what you want once you change your camera lenses to give you a better view.

The DVR was never intended to go on the internet. As the market took off they slapped on after thought "IP Server" on the tail end of the DVR.

Now they can take a stand alone DVR, and provide the internet connection.

The technology ran right over this product, and left it like a dinosaur in a tar pit.

You are familiar with computers. How would you rate an entry level computer from 2 to 3 years ago??

Yes! Thats what I thought you would say.

What cracked open the door for these kind of DVRs were the "average Joe" who makes $20,000, to $25,000. Once they could buy a device that they could afford the market went hot. Small business owners were snapping these up as fast as they could as well.

Now that the demand has leveled off, there is now a learning curve. Those that can afford a better system will upgrade. Those that cannot afford anything will keep what they have.

I do feel that this company is going to get left in the dirt if they do not create a new product that sets a new standard for the industry in the entry level priced market.

This product is so popular that there are manufactures who are producing knock offs of this product.

Suv's are the car to have on the open road, and the interstate. Right now the market is demanding Geo Metros. Would you really put your family in a Geo Metro, and go cross country if security is of the essence??

The market wants subcompact cars, and they want it now. You are doomed if you have an SUV, and you want to sell it right now. Is the SUV a better vehicle than a Sub Compact Car?

You cannot just open the DVR, and swap chips around to get what you need. You can do it if you are patient, and can solder with a microscope strapped to your head, and you now how to "sink" heat away from sensitive parts.

Then again will it work with out having to reprogram the DVR to work with you mod chip?

The problem is if somebody broke in, the quality is so bad you can't make out the persons face

Are you talking about internet viewing, or live view straight off the monitor plugged in to the video out of the DVR.

This DVR puts out a pretty decent video if the site survey was done, and the right cameras were installed.

If the video is bad off of the monitor right off the DVR then you have more problems then you think. You will have to bring it in for Warranty Repair. I assume you are not the original owner as you did not know where it came from. Do you know where it was bought, or who installed it?

If it is that bad, then you will need to replace it right away if security is of the essence!

So it appears I'm recording at 120 FPS but again when I view it over the internet its only 2-5 fps. Is this based on internet connections? If I plugged a monitor up to the actual DVR itself would it show me live real time feed that you could actual make out peoples faces really good?

FPS over the internet is different then the FPS of the DVR. It is a bad server "bolted" on to the DVR.

Yes it can show you real live time feed, and identify people if you have the right camera hooked up to it.

Recorded history should give you that information as well.

I think you have a lense problem that needs to be worked on.

No matter how fast the DVR can push out images for the internet (no idea on that model) your main limiting factor is going to be your internet connections upload speed at the DVR usually.

On most (at least in the UK) broadband/high speed connections your download speed (ie downloading webpages) is always a lot faster than your upload speed (the speed at which you can push information onto the internet).

For example, the broadband service I use, shows that my speeds at present are 7968Kbs for downloading, but only 448kbs for uploading.

Your DVR is uploading to the internet, so that is likely to be the bottleneck.

Usually the only ways to get faster fps, is to either get a much faster service, or reduce the resolution viewed over the internet, or change the codec or codec settings if possible, but usually there is a tradeof the faster the lower the quality, as you cant squeeze a quart into a pint pot, or whatever the old saying is

The problem is with the built in server.

For those of you guys that are viewing cameras over the internet: Can you make out faces really well? How good is your quality? Anybody want to view my cameras over the internet? I will give you the login and password for your imput!

You can only ask this of people who have the same DVR, or similiar to yours.

A $3000.00 DVR is going to have a good internet view.

You need to do the opposite. I would have you take it down to the minimum frames per second (or is that IPS).

This will keep the DVR from having to "stream" video constantly. Now it only has to deal with snap shots over the internet.

I would tell you to keep the DVR, but buy a high end video server, and put it on a camera output of your choice, or on the monitor output.

This should get you a better internet view without breaking the bank.

What do you think?