so with you getting 400 Kilo-BITS per second upstream.. about how many FPS NTSC can you see remotely?

and how many cameras are we talking at the same time?

to the best of my knowledge if you are only viewing 1 camera at a time remotely, that 1 camera will have a higher FPS speed than the rest right?

If you want log into mine we are 256 UP and 1500 down but remember it will be slower because I am not close to you, so probably double my results.

Here is instructions on how to log in http://www.altechvision.com.au/WebVeiw.pdf

Hey guys I did some testing on my upload and download speeds. This is what I am getting.

I ran my FTP server at home on my cable connection. I downloaded from another location a huge 600 meg file from my ftp server. I average about: 100 Kilo-BYTES per second (800 Kilo-BITS). Now the MAXIMUM allowed upload speed from my ISP is 1 Mega-BIT per second (1000 Kilo-BITS or 125 Kilo-BYTES).

So I would say that I am getting a pretty good upload speed. I am getting about 80% of my MAXIMUM allowed upload speed. Not bad.

Now on download speeds, I am getting about 3423 Kilo-BITS per second or: 427 Kilo-BYTES per second. My MAXIMUM allowed is 10 Mega-BITS per second. So I am only getting about 34.23% of my maximum download speed.

Here are some online tests I took.. check them out..

http://216.254.95.40/tweak/block:3a45c33?service=cable&speed=1000&os=winXP&via=normal

and another test:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/speedtests/3423914;839278;0305a8b63db1d8355bcce6c681deab46;2.0;www.broadbandreports.com/1077571379

Now given all the above info, what would you guys think I could stream 1 video at over the internet? and how about streaming 4 videos at once over the internet? You think I can stream close to 30 FPS.. maybe I should go with the 800 card after-all?

Cause looking at what you have there DVR, you are only doing 256 Kilo-BITS upload, so I have close to 4x your upload speed.

I did some testing too, not a lot ind you, been very busy of late, it would seem we were both correct, the system can stream prior to compression but is limited to the actual capture of the chip, however the software scales down the actual frame rate, therefore it is pretty fast.

I have connected a few sites on 128K and they seem pretty fast mind you my ISP is pretty good, the secret is to pay more and not get onto an ISP that has too many clients, therefore you get faster speeds.

In short the faster the capture the higher the broadcast speed available and although it differs in every country I manage to get around 14fps on 8 cameras on a GV800 at 128K which is more than ample.

One thing to note, Geo has a cool bandwidth feature where you can adjust the packet size allowing you to stream much faster at a loss of picture quality, to be honest if you need more than 14Fps your into something pretty serious not just racoons and bears.

okay so saying I can only stream at about 14 FPS as well (although I should be able to go much higher cause my upload speed is MUCH MUCH faster than yours), but let's just say I could only stream at about 14 FPS NTSC, then is it even worth buying the 800 card cause I wouldn't be able to use the full 30 FPS NTSC?

is 125 Kilo-BITS per second upload really enough for you running 8 cameras at the same time and streaming them all over the net at once using the Mulitview option in the Geo software?

damn, I am only going to have 1 camera to start out with, and my upload speed is WAY FASTER than that.. I get about 900 Kilo-BITS per second on average upload.

You think I could push the FULL 30 FPS through the web? and if so, with how many cameras on at once?

I cant tell you..the truth is it depends on your ISP, mine has little traffic on its pipes, not many people in Australia have broadband, therefore the pipes arent clogged yet. I would imagine you would get a 25FPS speed on one camera @ 320x240 over the net with 128UP quite easily, but I am not there so I can not tell you!

is it possible for you to stream ONLY 1 camera and give me the link to it. I will tell you what FPS speed I am seeing it at. Of course you need to have the version 6.0 of the software and I need to view the camera through the Multi-View mode cause that's the only mode that shows me the FPS speed.

And by the way, since you are in Australia and you go by PAL, when I see FPS speeds on YOUR Geovision server, is that number in PAL or NTSC??

I did some testing too, not a lot ind you, been very busy of late, it would seem we were both correct, the system can stream prior to compression but is limited to the actual capture of the chip, however the software scales down the actual frame rate, therefore it is pretty fast.

I have connected a few sites on 128K and they seem pretty fast mind you my ISP is pretty good, the secret is to pay more and not get onto an ISP that has too many clients, therefore you get faster speeds.

In short the faster the capture the higher the broadcast speed available and although it differs in every country I manage to get around 14fps on 8 cameras on a GV800 at 128K which is more than ample.

One thing to note, Geo has a cool bandwidth feature where you can adjust the packet size allowing you to stream much faster at a loss of picture quality, to be honest if you need more than 14Fps your into something pretty serious not just racoons and bears.

Hey check this out, this might be interesting to you... a Geovision rep told me this....

"In order to record you have to reduce the image to a tolerable level.

Otherwise your 120GB hard drive would be eaten up in 2 hours of recording.This is done by compression of the data. The card has processors that can handle a certain amount of data each. A GV-600 has one chip at 30FPS and a GV800 has 4 chips to make 120fps. Once compressed they are available for recording and sent to your monitor for viewing of what you compressed. Webcam does not require the compression because your not recording so it by-passes the compression part of the chain and is sent to your internet connection. Your FPS on the net are only limited by speed and bandwith."

Thats what i thought but a Geo tech told me slightly different but That is what I assumed, it is also sort of undigitised.

The streaming live video is "sort of UNdigitized"???

how can that be... it has to be completely digital if it is going through a computer and ESPECIALLY over the internet..

Bad choice of words, what I mean is that it has not had compression on it yet, actually in truth I think it is honest to say that the video stream is still composite and not digital untill it passes throught he PCI bus, but not sure on that and it matters not, it also depends on what camera inputs you put your cameras into, for example cam 1,5,9,13 may all be on one chip therefore staggering cameras accros unused chips makes for faster capture!

Hey check out this response from Geovision about streaming..

"

What I tried to tell you on the performance issue is that fps is decided by hardware, transmitting by Internet can't change the performance because it is fixed no matter how wide the bandwidth is (Apparently, that GeoVision dealer is misunderstood). Let me use a simple example.If you buy 1 set of GV-600(4cam) from us, no matter how fast FedEx can deliver to you, it won't become 2 sets or more (if FedEx does everything well). Therefore, please check answers below:

1. "So if I had a GV-600 with 4 cameras attached, I COULD still stream at the full 30FPS per camera as long as my bandwidth could handle it"

The answer is no.The truth is if you had a GV-600 with 4 cameras attached, you could stream at 7.5fps per camera in the best expectation.

2. "when viewing the video remotely through the internet, I could view it AS FAST as my bandwidth could handle regardless of the chipset on the geovision card"

The answer is no. It is when viewing the video remotely through Internet, the fps you can view is decided by chipset first and then the bandwidth.

"

So I guess your streaming IS limited to the FPS that the card can do?