ronbo

Active baluns video and PTZ control

Hi all

ive looked through some other threads and im now more wiser about using Active Baluns rather then passive one.

im questions are if were are going to used CAT5 over very long distances that would require active baluns for video.....What happens with the PTZ control? can i use some of cat5 cores for the ptz control of would i need to boots this signal too?

and would there be any problems with those two in one cat5 especialy if i wanted to have 24v ac running through just incase local power to the cameras went down

any thoughs welcome

thanks

it's common on cat5 do do video, ptz, and power. double up a pair for the ac power, one pair for the ptz, and the 4th for the video. your only concern is the power..........a ptz uses more power/amps so the distance you can push ac becomes less.............ie. a 400mamp B&W camera can go out beyond 1000ft.; color.........less than 1000ft. 1.5amp ptz.maybe 200ft. add a heater................wham slam........even less. if you can power ptz pocally....do it as that will resolve any issues that may cause you problems in the long term.

ptz data usually can go well beyond 100ft. and if you power that you can go further.

good luck

thank you for that

so what if i have long distances like 2000 feet? and microwave is something i dont know much about so would still like to cable it,

You can do 2,000 ft of both data and video, but not power. RS422 and RS485 data for PTZ control has a theoretical limit of 4,000 ft. and you will have to use active transmitters and/or receivers for the video. At 2000 ft. you are beyond the limit for passive baluns and right at the limit for active-passive (active at one end only). You will probably have to use both an active transmitter and an active receiver.

ok now i know my limits with cable.

have any of you used microwave systems? i know you can get 1.5km direct line of sight but can you have 2 ch or 4 ch or is it 1 dish per camera and one per reciever? and can you still control PTZ or does it get a bit delayed?

In the hunt for balun's, there is one major factor to watch out for when selecting your balun's. Check the specs for bandwith, every 1 meg equals 80 lines of resolution. I'd hate to see ya get a really nice camera setup, only to find out the balun's don't support your image quality.

Erron S.