gmcmurry

Help Me Pick Some Hardware

Greetings from a NEW GUY!

I am pretty experienced when it comes to pushing video over the internet. I have had webcams since the internet was invented.

I even have multiple cameras running and controllable through a PC and my own code at my home. Home made switchers, etc.

I would like to buy a stand alone DVR / Camera controller that is more robust than a system running on a PC. I need to install this in my vacation home and it needs to run for weeks on end without any attention.

Here are the basic features I want...

1. 16 analog video channels

2. ptz pelco camera controls

3. recording capable (one internal drive and perhaps external USB drives)

4. network capable (internet with fixed IP, etc)

5. viewable over internet with normal browser without special software (this may be the hard part)

There are many units I see in magazines and on ebay. One in particular is the APEX which does most of what I want except that you need special software on the remote PC to view. Not a deal breaker but really not what I would like. The unit is about $700 with no drive. Not a bad price at all.

I would love to be able to log in to a system through a browser interface that requires no software on the remote viewing computer.

Thanks in advance for anyone that would care to give me some advice.

Greg

As far as no remote software installed... 98% of DVR's need an Active X based control installed on the remote, windows based, machine that has Internet Explorer (you only install it once, it's a small activex widget).

Basically when you log into the machine for the first time through IE it will ask to install a control (you add your IP to trusted sites, then agree and install) it installs once and thats it.. good to go(this may be the "software" they are talking about)

My only advice is to make sure you can view/search past video over the IE web interface. Some brands can't do this, and only can show live video. thats not good when you want to see if any cameras that were set for motion were tripped.. you want to do it from home and not have to drive to house.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no problem with ActiveX I just don't want to have to install special viewing software.. I would like to be able to access the system from ANY computer at an Internet Cafe for example.

Does anyone have any favorite sources or models they would recommend? Or models they would stay away from?

I would like a non-windows version -- imbedded linux for example.

Greg

Thanks for the reply.

I have no problem with ActiveX I just don't want to have to install special viewing software.. I would like to be able to access the system from ANY computer at an Internet Cafe for example.

Greg

Internet Cafe usually dont let you install Active X

I figured it would be installed on most computers. Game playing, etc...

G

All PC's running windows/IE have the _capability_ to run ActiveX - the question is whether a specific PC will allow you to _install_ an ActiveX component. AK357 is correct - many Internet Cafe's (and other 'locked down' locations) will not allow an ActiveX control to be downloaded/installed.

I haven't searched for all others that do, but I do know our own solution supports viewing without any plugins, albeit at a lower frame rate I suggest looking for solutions that support Firefox viewing, and preferably do not require Java.

Paul

Hello, gmcmurry.

I recommend DV3 series from Nuvico.

1. 16 analog video channels

2. ptz pelco camera controls

3. recording capable (one internal drive and perhaps external USB drives)

4. network capable (internet with fixed IP, etc)

5. viewable over internet with normal browser without special software (this may be the hard part)

It does all of the above.

It also offers DDNS, well written manual, and easy operation. I've dealt with many of them and I was delighted most of times.

Do you mean like the EV-16250N?

Looks pretty good to me.

Greg

hey, anyone know the major differences between the EV and DV3 series?

The EV series is the improved version, it will do 30fps on the 4&8 channel versions, nice recorder for the size and style.