monitor

Recommendations for PC Based system

Hi All,

I am totally new to this forum.

I need to install a new security system based on PC in my office building. We have calculated that at this time we will need 4 inside and 5 outside cameras. Since we will be buying another office building next door in next few months, we would like the ability to add more cameras to the security system.

One of my friends has eyemax system installed at his business and is very happy.

I am here to find out what would be a good reliable sytem. My budget is $5000 to $10000. I am not interested in wireless cameras as I am looking for a solid heavy duty professional grade system.

Questions:

-----------

(1) Is there a place where I can buy the package? Is it worth it or should I just put best of the breed and put togather a system?

(2) Do I need to buy the PC from the CCTV sellers or just buy a regular DELL or HP laptop and slap in the DVR card in it?

(3) Which is a good indoor dome camera?

(4) Which is a good outdoor camera and housing?

(5) What kind of calculations I need to do to make sure that I am hanging the camera high enough to cover the entire area.

(6) Is there a primer that I can read to understand how to design the security or where to place the cameras?

(7) What kind of cables do I need to install? Will it be regular COAX or can I use CAT6? How will we supply power to the cameras?

(8) Can I mount the PC on a rack along with other computer hardware in the server room?

(9) Is the software part of the DVR package or do I need to buy software seperately?

(10) Is there any particular brand of cameras that are better than the others in reliability and longevity?

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for your help.

Questions:

-----------

(1) Is there a place where I can buy the package? Is it worth it or should I just put best of the breed and put togather a system?

Definately buy a package, that way you are not responsable for it

(2) Do I need to buy the PC from the CCTV sellers or just buy a regular DELL or HP laptop and slap in the DVR card in it?

You could do either but if you buy from an established company chances are they are going to offer a swap out unit which is important if using a PC based machine...besides they already know what the limitations of MOBO compatability etc will be....no dell or hp tech is going to know how to re install the DVR card, but your supplier will.

(3) Which is a good indoor dome camera?

Indoors lighting is not much of an issue....but you get what you pay for..I like the expensive so i prefer Bosch or Panasonic...but you can use anyhting...most impprtant is to look at the warranty and can the cameras firmware be upgraded...Ganz is good for cheap so is samsung

(4) Which is a good outdoor camera and housing?

Bosch is really good, as is Panasonic...they make hands down the best day night cameras

(5) What kind of calculations I need to do to make sure that I am hanging the camera high enough to cover the entire area.

do a goofle for cctv lens calculator

(6) Is there a primer that I can read to understand how to design the security or where to place the cameras?

There are always guides but this is best designed by experienced people..you wouldnt get your wedding photos done by a novice...well CCTV is the same..lighting...angle...scene type are all isuees that a trained tech knows to look for

(7) What kind of cables do I need to install? Will it be regular COAX or can I use CAT6? How will we supply power to the cameras?

You can use cat6 for CCTV but then you need baluns to convert it..this does however offer you the ability to shift to IP cameras at a later date

( Can I mount the PC on a rack along with other computer hardware in the server room?

Yes most definately, but if your going to run it as a network streaming device then you need to check what compression and bandwidth it quses...IE controlling the DVR at the rack with rg59 wont kill bandwidth or require lean compression but if its on your network then it may be more important

(9) Is the software part of the DVR package or do I need to buy software seperately?

Most times it is part of the package

(10) Is there any particular brand of cameras that are better than the others in reliability and longevity?

Hell yes...its like cars...you could buy a cheap car but it may last a lot shorter time..but that said if an expensice car is double the price but lasts twice as long it is the same amount...however car technology as with cctv will change..so perhaps it is cheaper to buy 2 x cheap cars so that the second one is alter model as apposed to a single one that will last longer... its personal preference

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your detailed reply. It was very helpful.

I have talked to a few CCTV installers and all of them want to charge anywhere from $10,000 upwards depending on their mood. Most of them are using the hardware which is less than $5000. In this economy I would like to save some dough.

I was wondering if there is a standard system/ package deal that I can buy over the web and get it installed by an experienced person.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your detailed reply. It was very helpful.

I have talked to a few CCTV installers and all of them want to charge anywhere from $10,000 upwards depending on their mood. Most of them are using the hardware which is less than $5000. In this economy I would like to save some dough.

I was wondering if there is a standard system/ package deal that I can buy over the web and get it installed by an experienced person.

Any recommendations?