cjmagm

Wireles range question

I have been looking into the Trango Falcon system for an analog camera that will be about 600ft from the reciever. I have no experience with wireless setups for cameras. I am assuming that with the Falcon 5.8Ghz and good LOS that this should be no issue. But I see where some talk about cutting distance in half with wireless(if it says 1200ft go 600ft). So I was curious about the distance limits for clear picture and good signal if I use what I think??? is a good wireless TxRx setup.

the one thing to remember with wireless is no matter how "hot" one end the other has to be just as hot inorder for the bandwidth to be high. If you have a high tramsmitt on one end and just a wireless camera on the other the combination would result in slow or no video.....but, if you also installed a high power at the camera end you'd see decent bandwidth.

sometimes in situations like this where you are bridging a largew distance (more than 250ft.) you should install equal equipment on both ends and then engineer the cameras after that point. Because, if you engineer the system to work "sometimes" a basic rain storm will know you off the air.

check these out...I use them and they work great.affordable also;

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=1146

Thanks,

My thought was to use the Falcon on both ends and use a panasonic analog camera for the picture.

Are you saying that if I used a wireless camera that I would have to make sure the strength was there?

Once again I am pretty lame with the wireless so thanks for the help.

I would use a Avermedia 1304NETSATA connected to a mini 10X PTZ. Connect the Aver to a Linksys router. connect the linksys rounter to the Remote Umbiquiti Nanostations......... should handle 600ft.easily. then connect the local nanostation to your network............connect to mini10X via PC.

you can skip the Avermedia and 10Xmini and go with a Toshiba wireless IP camera.and do you recording another way.......at the local end. wireless camera would still be connecting to the linksys before it routed back over the nanostations.

I am assuming you have internet at the local end and also power at the remote end. and, it's not too hard to do. where are you located?

Ok here goes, going to look into the Toshiba Wireless, and use a Cisco access point. But I need to make sure that camera has the umph to get back as far as needed? I would then plan on using a NVR if possible to record the video from Camera.

First thought was tango falcon and Panasonic, yes power at pole and enternet at gaurd shack. then go into Panasonic DVR and let the 2 images be viewable online at two different locations.

Located in Central Illinois.

I am getting ready to look into the Avermedia 1304NETSATA.

Thanks VST_Man

Round 2 - I have been talking to Microtek about the analog Wireless setups that they offer with there 30 day trial, which I think is nice. One problem I have is that I am stuck using Northern Video to purchase all my equipment because they are the only approved vendor for my company. So I talked to them today about getting a cheapo wireless IP camera that I can setup with this Cisco Access point to get an idea of range and other issues without dropping 1000.00 for a good wireless IP cam.

PM about getting my contact info. WAV is a distributor like Northern Video offering many wireless AP's and IP Cameras. We are located in Aurora, IL just North of you. We would be glad in assisting you in getting you up and running and a little help installing if needed .

Your Company needs to open thier eyes........allowing you to purchase beyond a single source will save them money and keep Northern pricing low. Elsewise your Company is stuck buying what is avaialble. I have the same problem with Northern....they sell some things and are not competitive on most. But, I buy elsewhere if the price is right.

Oh, NEVER buy just because you can't buy elsewhere..it's a bad habit that will hurt your Company. Stand your ground and then prove it. If they force you to buy from NV then make sure you present options BEFORE you test your solution with Company money. Worst thing you can do is try to deliver a system that your Company is restricting your choices. "Build me a metal bridge but only use wood!"

As far as the link's ability to "make it". Unless it is engineered to work....your on virgin ground.

I agree. Although we buy much of our equipment from one source, we still elicit bids from other companies occasionally; especially when we have a large project. That keeps our suppliers honest and their pricing low.

It never hurts to get three competitive bids for a project. You don't necessarily pick the lowest bid because you also have to factor in the bidders' reliability and ability to deliver as promised; their customer service, etc.

Well I am going to try and approve another vendor (maybe WAV if prices are reasonable)but so far here is some of my options I am going to try.

1. Micro tek Wireless setup 1,acces point and 2 transmitters.

2. Micro Tek software and licenses

3. Axis 1577Q HD 2 MP cam w/housing

4. Axis 211M 1.3 MP cam w/housing

5. Company built PC with how ever many gig I can talk them into.

The above setup is looking like 5700 - 6400 without labor....

or

1. whatever WAV uses for Wireless

2. Panasonic I-Pro Network Cams

3. Hopefully Panasonic NVR

I did like the looks of the Axis 1577Q do any of you guys have any thoughts on these or the I-Pro

Microtek is good, we've ran them on a few applications. The 5.8ghz was good but when you run similar channels, they cross talk more than you think and we were dropping signals. You need to run as opposite of channels as possible.

Panasonic i-Pro in my opinion is better than Axis. However, you need to be i-Pro certified almost anywhere you try to purchase the cameras.

I would also put in your contract that the client needs to supply a certain amount of bandwidth or if necessary, perform a bandwidth test. The last thing you want to do is install an IP solution and talk it up, and then only be recording at 3-5fps.

And one last thing, if you don't have too much experience in implementing an IP solution using wireless Tx/Rx systems, anticipate spending about 50-75% more time on programming and implementation.

Yeah I believe we are going with the Ipro cameras and I am going to have to have a certified installer put them in and setup, I do plan on getting ipro certified so I can maintenance the system. And I have 0% knowledge of setting up a wireless cam system so I plan on being involved the entire time so I can learn something(maybe). Thanks for the comments