I'm thinking there's GOTTA be a way to do this, I'm just not clicking in...

It would be really handy to have something (battery-powered ideally) that one could plug into a standard wired IP camera, that would provide an ad-hoc network for a laptop to access the camera. There are times that a direct cable connection is impractical at best, impossible at worst.

I suppose one could use a "spare" wireless router but that seems a bit overkill (and it wouldn't be battery powered)... something small and portable that I can just toss in a laptop bag would be ideal.

I'm thinking there's GOTTA be a way to do this, I'm just not clicking in...

It would be really handy to have something (battery-powered ideally) that one could plug into a standard wired IP camera, that would provide an ad-hoc network for a laptop to access the camera. There are times that a direct cable connection is impractical at best, impossible at worst.

I suppose one could use a "spare" wireless router but that seems a bit overkill (and it wouldn't be battery powered)... something small and portable that I can just toss in a laptop bag would be ideal.

may be this

ASUS WL-330Gg

Linksys Instant Wireless Wireless-G Game Adapter WGA54G

may be this

ASUS WL-330Gg

Linksys Instant Wireless Wireless-G Game Adapter WGA54G

The ASUS looks like it would be ideal!

I thought afterwards about maybe a gaming adapter like the Linksys, but I know I've heard of problems from people that have tried to use those (gaming adapters in general) for anything BUT game consoles.

I use a cheap Linksys WAP54G AP.

Setup static IP addresses in the camera and AP on the same subnet and use a patch cable to connect them. Easy and cheap.

I always keep it in my bag with my Ipod Touch so I can test and focus cameras.

Yeah, was thinking about doing that with an unused DI-614+ I have here... only problem I could think of is, would I still need to connect the camera to my laptop via cable to either assign it an IP or enable DHCP? IQEyes come with neither selected, so I'm not sure if the IQFinder utility would find it via the router.

Guess the best way to find out is just to try it

...and I did try it. Worked like a champ, too! Little slow, since the router is only an 802.11b (11Mbps, half-duplex) but it worked great! In fact, I initially hooked the router up to the switch I'm running the DVR and five IP cameras into on this site - it was awesome being able to just wander around the store with the laptop and view and adjust all the cameras But just for testing, I plugged a camera directly into the router, and that worked great too.

Now all I need to do is make this whole thing more portable. Router's a little on the big side and needs power... thinking I might strap it to my 12V gel-cel and stick a small board regulator to it to knock the voltage down to 5VDC. But that's for later - meantime, IT WORKS!