cope49

Sanyo DSR-3009

Can anyone tell me how to reformat the hard disk on this model video recorder? I keep getting a disk error on my screen and my recording mode halts, this error pops up and after turning it off for several minutes, turning it back on, it all works well....for a couple more days then it starts all over. Before I try to figure out how to replace the hard disk, I'd like to try reformatting it but can't find ANY sort of notes online on how this is done? If no one can answer that, can someone please give me advise on replacing the hard drive all together (such as make, model, do I have to load any sort of software on to it, etc??) Thank you!!

Most models, including this one from Sanyo, uses proprietary firmware that basically operates independent on what size hard drive you use. All the system functionality is on flash memory (that is what makes it embedded system" and the main reason for the hard drive is to store video.

Chances are very good that this hard drive is damaged and you should replace it.

Just pickup another ATA drive and plug it in... The system will automatically recognize it, format for its own use and then start storing video...

I will suggest using two 500GB drives combining internal storage capacity to 1TB... Just make sure to assign the drive properly.

Thank you for your fast reply and I did just what you suggested. I simply removed the old hard drive and installed a new Maxter 7400 500GB Hard Drive however I'm still receiving the same error "Disk Error 1". Here's exactly what happens. I plug the unit back in, all lights appear and the screen shows "System Initializing", then an alarm starts sounding, the power button flashes and the words "Disk Error 1" appears on the screen. So since swapping out the hard drive didn't cure the problem I was wondering if you had any other suggestions? Thank you!!

It will not be too far fetched if this new drive could be bad... Maxtor is owned by Seagate and recently we had tremendous amount of out of box failures...

Do you have another new drive or even older drive that you do not have to use for anything else? I am suggesting process of elimination....

Please change the ribbon cables too... dependent on age, these cables do dry up and all it takes one of the lines on this cable to crack...

One other thought... make sure assign the "master" and "slave" configuration of the drives correctly. There are drives that will not work correctly (certain maxtor, wd and even Seagate drives) if the assignment is not correct... some, if required to assign as "slave", must find other drive as "master" or assignment of "master" with "slave" present, otherwise it will not work...

If none of these steps work, then the culprit is the onboard controller... and there is not much you can do about it... It is integrated to the motherboard...

I did not ask when you bought this system... Dependent when you bought it and it does not matter from who, it may still be under warranty. I will strongly suggest to call Sanyo (they are located in Chatsworth, California and here is their contact info... http://us.sanyo.com/Security-Contact-Us/Security-Contact

Call them up and they are very good in handling warranty related problems... If it is not under warranty and none of the steps above do not help, then this DVR will be an excellent target item for shooting in the desert