eno45

Hello CCTV forum members...

I just recently started looking into a basic security camera setup for around my home due to crooks making a presence in the area. I found this forum through AVSforums.

I have been reading around but still kinda lost on where to start. If someone could point me in the general direction on where to start my research that would be great.

I currently am using a temporary Logitech WiLife camera which I have loaded the software onto my Windows Home Server that runs 24/7. I use it to share files/printers and multimedia like BLURAY movies over my network at home. From what I have read a add on DVR card would be a great option for this server. I could dedicate a hard drive solely to the DVR function.

Currently I like the idea of cameras recording to hard drive only when there is something tripping the motion sensor. I would like somewhere between 4-8 cameras. I figure if I can have the content stored on the server I then could view it througout my network or remotely w/ remote log in. Mostly starting with outdoor cameras and adding some interior models as well down the road.

Thanks and hello to all. I will be trying to play catch up here in the next few weeks to learn this area. Links and direction to start would be wonderful.

Welcome, eno45! Feel free to post more specific questions in the appropriate areas as they come up, but a bit of advice right off the top:

Recording multiple cameras can be fairly system-intensive, and if you want to use a PC-based solution, you really want to have a machine dedicated to that purpose. More important than the chance of the cameras slowing the system down, there's the chance of other activities affecting the quality or reliability of the recording.

And as with everything else in life, you really do get what you pay for - cheap eBay cameras simply won't give the same quality and reliability as good professional-grade cameras. You don't have to break the bank on your cameras, but if your security is important, don't cheap out on them either.

Is it ok to talk in this post about this stuff or should I make another somewhere else in the forums?

If ok, my WHS is a 2.8ghz Dual Core w/ 4gb of RAM. It doesn't hardly get used except for light file access and occasional movie playback. For start I would only think to get a few cameras 2-4 but someday maybe move up to more. This would be pretty much dedicated to the task and since it's a headless system I don't work from it. I could even drop a quadcore CPU in it. I do have a extra server case that I could someday put some hardware in but two servers running.. I would hope to make it work in my current server. Want to tap its ability more then a expensive basic home file sharing server. In light of that do you still think a seperate system?

What is the common way people run them around their home? Powerline adapter like the current Logitech WiLife setup? Ethernet?, Composite? Wireless camera?

Nothing wrong with discussing it here, but you'll get a lot more people reading it, and thus a lot more input, by putting it in the appropriate forum.

As for how the cameras are typically connected, it'll depend entirely on the type of cameras and the recording technology you go with. If you go with all IP cameras, you can use NVR software and forgo additional capture hardware. Ethernet-over-powerline will generally work for this, although AFAIK most systems are somewhat limited - ie. all devices have to be on the same phase of the circuit. There are WiFi-capable network cameras as well, but they naturally are subject to the standard limitations of range, speed, etc.

For a 4 camera basic setup do you think the described current home server would work well? It just sits and idles all day so I would think putting it to work would make a better use for it.

You're probably okay with that, sure. Concerns might be if you were doing something I/O-intensive, like playing back a BluRay video...