Tailbone215

Optimal settings for Nuvico CB-SD21N-L and other questions?

This is my first post to CCTV forum even though I have been reading a lot and studying the valuable info posted here.

I recently setup a system using the Nuvico CB-SD-21N-L cameras and Hikvision DS-4016HSI DVR card. The images from the cams don't seem to be as sharp and contrast as one would expect. I'm using factory defaults on these cams, other than focus and zoom. The cheap 380-line test camera I'm using seems to have more punch and contrast to the colors. I'm sure the Nuvico cams would outperform the test camera I'm using if I set them up properly. The IR performance hasn't impressed me either.

What I'm looking for is the optimal settings using the cam's OSD so I can dial them into a usable image. Would turning AGC off make for a better choice to get clearer day/night images?

I'm using RG-59 cable runs under 100' and feeding 12VDC. Would 24VAC be a better choice? I'm not sure if this generates more heat in the cams resulting in more video noise.

I have the Hikvision card set to 4CIF and resolution setting to maximum as to get the best image quality. So far I'm not impressed.

As for additional cams, what brand/model in the same price range outperform the CB-SD21N-L?

Thanks all.

Hi Tailbone- I don't have the solution but I am in the exact same boat as you. I got mine today and, like you, my $98.00 bullet has much better image...this can't be right. I haven't experience the IR's yet but it will be dark soon. If you find the answer outside of this forum would you please update this thread so I too know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks,

They have a great image. I think you may have to tweak the focus. That is a pain to do, as the focus moves a little when you move the zoom. I get a descent image, then tighten the zoom lock enough to hold, then tweak the focus, and lock that. I focused on the mag wheel spokes on my Jeep that is roughly 40 feet away. I have the older version and the factory settings are fine.

They have a great image. I think you may have to tweak the focus. That is a pain to do, as the focus moves a little when you move the zoom. I get a descent image, then tighten the zoom lock enough to hold, then tweak the focus, and lock that. I focused on the mag wheel spokes on my Jeep that is roughly 40 feet away. I have the older version and the factory settings are fine.

DVR Man- When you say you have the older version are you referring to the 3895? If so I wonder if something's changed in the new model because I've spent 4 hours (tightning the zoom first, the focusing) and I can't get the quality image I was expecting. I've also played with backlight/DSS/etc. with not much improvement. And the noise when IR's are on in the dark is horrid. I was really looking forward to working with this camera but if I can't find the magic that you found I'm affraid it's going to be off to ebay. Any other ideas that I might try? I would be glad to post pics if it would help. Many thanks in advance!

Yes, I have a few 3895 cams. They are great! I think the only change the new version has is the ability to adjust their I/R output. Try tightening the focus, then adj. the zoom and vise versa. What power supply are you using? Are you running Siamese copper coax? Why don't you send a night shot to Nuvico and ask what is wrong?

This camera has factory settings.

1595863513_nightshot-Nuvico.jpg.0072fda701b8c8b6d88b58b8b9b3cc86.jpg

I am using a PS09DC power supply...nto the best, I know but it suffices for testing (or has so far, at least). Yes, I'm using UL listed siamese rg59 18/2. I will send a pic to nuvico and see what they say. Thanks for your time in replies!

Ini,

There isnt much for the IR to reflect on in that setting, do you have a day pic? Also, I wonder if these cameras have a back focus or if that is something only on CS-mounts?

Ini,

There isnt much for the IR to reflect on in that setting, do you have a day pic? Also, I wonder if these cameras have a back focus or if that is something only on CS-mounts?

True about the ir reflection. Is there not excessive noise in this pic? Here is a daytime ..

192_168.2.99_01_20090514140011_10521471-jpg.jpg.4f5d8feb9f52f2414e82a2cf0aeb093f.jpg

hmm, that looks fairely clean to me, not as crisp though, maybe focus is off. I used to have a Hikvision DVR card system, are you using the windows based software that came with it? Is is set at D1 or 2CIF in this pic?

that's just it....I've spent literally hours trying to get that last bit of focus that I know has to be there but I just can't get it. That pic was grabbed using the web client. I just grabbed one from the 4.74 client.....however I still can't upload it It is D1 at 12fps.

just goto Photobucket.com and create an account there and use a link. Also there is some great Linux software for that card made by linovision.com I had it for the 8ch card and IMHO thought it was great. you can put it on a 128mb usb thumb drive and boot from it. It has greater flexibility and is much more stable. Check it out, its only $5 per channel

Yeah, I know ....I just hate creating accounts. I'll get around to it.

That's sweet about the linux software, I'll check it out. I actually have a Hik 8000 series non pc based DVR...will the linux software still work with it?

hmm, dont know about the standalone, I will contact my rep for you and find out. I may not get the answer though till Monday. I'll let you know.

****edit , its Tailbone with the Hik card, I just assumed from the images you were using one too. But you have the standalone, its all coming into focus for me now...

Edited by Guest

Have you tried focus adjustment for night time, a lot of those cameras need to be focused for night mode.

Yes Sir. I've tried locking down the zoom and focusing and vice-versa in day and night environments. I'm going to try again tonight, turning the BLC and other "frills" off, to see if it makes a difference.

hmm, dont know about the standalone, I will contact my rep for you and find out. I may not get the answer though till Monday. I'll let you know.

****edit , its Tailbone with the Hik card, I just assumed from the images you were using one too. But you have the standalone, its all coming into focus for me now...

...wish this dad-gum Nuvico would come into focus for me!!

I focus all my cameras by using a length of Siamese that allows me to see my Bosch 21" monitor when I focus the camera which is on a tripod looking out an open widow. I focus at a point that is at the distance that the camera will be used. Then I mount the camera at its final destination.

This has never failed to produce excellent results.

I may have found my problem...Tailbone, check for a smudged up oily film on the lens (the camera lens it self, not the cover). Can't believe it took me so long to notice that....live and learn, I guess.

Yes, I have a few 3895 cams. They are great! I think the only change the new version has is the ability to adjust their I/R output. Try tightening the focus, then adj. the zoom and vise versa. What power supply are you using? Are you running Siamese copper coax? Why don't you send a night shot to Nuvico and ask what is wrong?

This camera has factory settings.

That is an incredibly good IR image (almost too good to believe that they came from that cam at the overall distance covered without additional IR lighting) and I would have been happy to have half that performance at 25' and under.

The two cams I had were ultimately deemed defective by a local installer and were returned to the vendor. I have exhausted all of the options outlined here and had no joy. The only good that came out of this experience is that I learned to never buy from an unauthorized reseller.

Not sure what you mean? Is there something wrong with the Hikvision card that I'm not aware of? Thanks.

I may have found my problem...Tailbone, check for a smudged up oily film on the lens (the camera lens it self, not the cover). Can't believe it took me so long to notice that....live and learn, I guess.

Thanks. All of that was checked and it was ultimately determined that these cams were defective. I'm sure Nuvico had QA problems on this production run. I was told that it could be a malfunctioning auto iris circuit as these cams weren't adjusting to compensate for different lighting conditions. Washed out during day and at night with IR on you can see the slight glow of the LEDs, but the picture was still almost black and noisy even with reflective objects less than 25' away. Believe me, I wished it was as simple as a dirty lens. Thanks again.

I agree that the image is great. The on cam I/R is the only I/R that was present. There is a street light off to the left about 75 feet. Other than that, what you see is what I get.

I agree that the image is great. The on cam I/R is the only I/R that was present. There is a street light off to the left about 75 feet. Other than that, what you see is what I get.

Cool! Still pretty amazing performance.