kevhead

Newbie needs advice replacing old system with new

Hello...

I have an old system, about 15 years old with cameras in some elevators, a lobby, and dock. All the cameras are powered by a power supply box and have BNC connectors back to the system (Panasonic 16 channel connected to a VCR). Anyway, I'm looking at some new systems and cameras and the new cameras have power adapters. What's the best way to use the newer cameras that don't have the power terminals? Any advice is apprecaited.

Thanks

as long as the cameras are bnc connectors you can replace the old vcr with a new digital................

then worry about the camera's.....and possibly new cable.

- do you have siamese cable? power & video.

- power supply is what voltage?

- old camera power connectors are? new uses 2.1mm barrel type

- bnc twist on or crimped?

I'd put a new power supply in that has PTC type resetabble fuses....not the glass barrell fused type. then I'd swap out camera's & cable as you can.

I've done this type of "upgrade" and it's fairly easy as long as your current cameras are capable of connecting over to the new digital dvr.

Thanks for the reply...some answers:

1. No Siamese cable

2. I believe the power supply is 12V box

3. Not sure what power connectors are on the cameras, they are older RCA's. I would have to take one out of an elevator and check. I can only see 2 cables, 1 red and 1 black and they are terminated into the camera.

4. BNC is crimped

We would like to replace the whole system, the cameras are old, black and white screens, and the multiplexer seems to go down periodically (panasonic wj-fs216).

Unless it's severely under-sized (like, 24-gauge power), your existing wiring should be fine, siamese or not. Unless it's damaged or the insulation is rotting away, there's little reason to replace it - that's just extra work and expense.

If the new cameras have different power connectors, just snip off the old ones and splice in the new ones (making sure polarity is correct). If the cameras are all 12V and come with their own adapters, you can discard the adapters (or save them for later use) and power the cameras all off one central 12VDC power supply... which as VST_Man indicates, is preferable for long-term reliability and maintenance.

Hello...

I have an old system, about 15 years old with cameras in some elevators, a lobby, and dock. All the cameras are powered by a power supply box and have BNC connectors back to the system (Panasonic 16 channel connected to a VCR). Anyway, I'm looking at some new systems and cameras and the new cameras have power adapters. What's the best way to use the newer cameras that don't have the power terminals? Any advice is apprecaited.

Thanks

Recommend you to use a new 16 ch. DVR system, new cameras with new DVR sysytem, because the DVR software also need to update.