hgiljr

New Home System, need help in config

Hello everyone. I am new here and in need of help. I am building and shopping around a setup for my home. Currently my biggest problem has been during Christmas and my decorations. You see I go over the top each year and last year I was vandalized twice. The second time I had some nanny cams and was able to see some but not much. Lighting is not that bad in this area since I currently have two 500 watt lamps facing the front yard as well as the city street light in front of my home but not as clear as daylight as we all know...

So In my shopping around and asking questions, one place said I should be using a camera with the following or similar specs:

• Image Sensor: Sony 1/3" Super HAD CCD HQ1 DSP.

• Resolution 540 TV-Lines.

• True Mechanical Day/Night Chip (ICR).

• Min. Illumination: 0 Lux (LED ON) IR Range up to 40m.

• External Adjustment Varifocal Lens: 2.8~11mm.

48 LED

First questions, are these specs for a night camera for what I am looking for, give me a good quality video? I know if they strike again they will be running in and out so I need something to capture this or at least a good description of the person and if possible the car. Also why would I need a Varifocal lens? Any info on the type of camera I should be using would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again

Vari focal is a great option to have. You can make your camera flexible to each situation.

Wide angle cameras are bad for facial recognition.

Zoom lense can catch good facial recognition but the person has to be "trapped" in a zone.

For Christmas over the top displays then you will want to use several cameras.

I would have one wide angle camera on your house. This will show them driving up, and getting out, and will show them moving about to the various objects in your yard.

I would install cameras with non wide angle lenses in things like wishing wells, or Santa's house, or other decorations.

There is not much you can do to protect blow ups, or inflatables, but the blow molds (Plastic candles, and Santas) can take a little abuse, unless they are collectables, and you are worried about the original paint scheme.

You can run the siamese in the same route as your electrical lines but try to give them a distance away. Crossing over electrical lines should not cause interference, but running side, by side will cause interference.

Also run some two conductor wire with the Christmas lights. The idea being that if they cut the light strings then they will cut your alarm wire sounding a siren. That should chase them off before they do more damage.

If the DVR has motion detection, and you know how to tie in to the alarm I/O of the DVR then get yourself an alarm recorder. You put it in to a program mode, and you speak in to a microphone, and the device stores your speech. When triggered the device plays your recording.

Hook a speaker outdoors to the recorder. When they step in front of the cameras then the recorder sounds off.

Hey! Get out of my yard! Honey! Get me the shot gun!

That should scare them off before they do more damage.

If you have inflatables, or collectables, then surround them with small pickette fences. Make them have to climb/jump over to get to them. If they have to run away it makes them that harder to "escape".

If you use fog machines, or "animated light boards" then store them in wooden boxes rather than having them set out in the open where they can be damaged. Decorate the boxes to fit your display, or use objects from your display to hide devices inside.

After your evening light show is over then do not feel bad about using electric fencing if you do have a fence.

A wooden pickett fence street side would not be a bad idea to keep the onlookers from getting to close to your decorations. This can be a temp setup, and taken down to store with your decorations.

If you do over the top displays then storing fencing is just another object on the list. Those that complain about storing fencing probably would complain about buying a hundred triple taps, and 5 miles of extension cords, and a million dollars worth of LED lighting too.

If you have reindeer, and other lighted frames, and you go over the top then it may pay to take a welding course at your local community college.

You can make your own replacement frames made of metal. When your display gets kicked, or knocked over they will stand up to the abuse a little better then the cheap "wicker" style displays. If you have the more expensive fiberglass objects then test one to see how much abuse it takes. If it is strong then place these close to the street. If is is very weak then replace it with a metal frame, or move it towards the house, and surround it with knee high garden fences, and the more sturdy the better.

http://planetchristmas.com/

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/

What do you think?

Scorpion, thanks for all this info. Yes I have looked at plant christmas and got some traps already. I do live in a corner home so the car can park in any two sides. As for the fence, in the past there was one made with candy canes and light string, but this year I will be putting up a temporary 3-4 foot fence. Would you or anyone else be able to recommend some model cameras and DVR that I can use? On the DVR, should I be looking for MPEG 4 or 264 codec?

I am attaching a picture of the yard taken from across the street corner. My biggest worry is actually what is on the lawn and drive way since this year there will be more. Any further info greatly appreciated. Thanks

n1257874246_182163_6839.jpg.7c19012728ab43b78fb2b1026aa07905.jpg

n1257874246_182162_5459.jpg.81d7221cbe3804c009ff34d1d07d7a5c.jpg

Do you have animated lighting in your display??

There are two ways to select products:

1. Pay someone that has been in the business for a long time. You pay more, but you save a lot of headaches.

2. just buy what you can afford. If you can afford it then way ask? In other words I ask myself. Hmmm? Should I buy a Lamborghini? If you cannot afford it then you will not buy it.

If you are at a used car lot, and you ask your friend "Hey! Which one of these clunkers is the best bet for the money"?

You get what you pay for.

It is difficult for dealers to give you recommendations.

First off they will want your business. They know you are going to take their advice, and then run somewhere else, and buy your equipment there. This is why you will not see alot of responces.

Most dealers are in an environment where if a crime happens then the customer is going to sic the lawyers back on to the CCTV business. It happens all of the time in the burglar alarm side of the world. Now you have gun shy dealers who are only going to recommend tried, and true products regardless of what budget a person is looking at.

With that mentality you will see two camps. The "pro" dealers who are gun shy, and the DIY who just wants to capture some video. They are willing to experiment, and think outside of the box.

You need to decide if you should just do the experimentation yourself. There are enough products that are easy to get from various sources on the web, why worry about specs?

A good lense, and a decent DVR is going to be better then a wide angle lens while you are trying to watch the sidewalk from 50 feet away from where the camera is mounted.

You can also hire a dealer who will probably laugh at the products that are available all over the web, but remember "the liability factor" that is involved.

What you really need to look at is how much your display is worth, and what your security level is.

I would say spend 10% of what your display is worth. Maybe not all at once, but start with a good backbone, and add bits, and pieces over time creating a dynamic, and flexible system that will provide the protection that you need. If you suffer more problems in your area, then you may want to up the ante a little.

There is nothing worse then watching video of someone slicing your inflatables that you have worked, and saved all of your money to bring happiness to some childs face, and the video only tells you the story, and nothing more.

Believe me, if the police could look at the video, and instantly recognize a prior trouble maker, then they would be more than glad to rain a little hell on a perp.

If the police can watch the video, and all they can do is pat you on the back, and say "man, that is really tough! I feel bad for you! We will keep you posted. Have a good evening"! Then you have wasted all of your money on equipment no matter who recommended it.