1911a1

The more I read, the more lost I am ... I need guidance

First post, hope I'm in the right section -

Our residential property has been vandalized twice. Police reports were filed but without video, there's not much they can do. I've dealt with the physical security at each door and window opening with an Ademco whole house system which includes interior motion and I have floods on motion outside but I need to surveil the yard. This is where I'm confused as to which system will best suit our needs for years to come. I'd like to create interlocking fields of vision over the front and side areas so if a camera is damaged, it'll be caught on another camera. I'll need at least four cameras for the front and need to be able to identify a person(s) up to 47ft to the sidewalk. Audio would be nice but isn't imperative.

I like the new systems where the DVR is mounted on the monitor to reduce the footprint. I've looked at Q-See and Lorex packages and I can pick up the Lorex at Costco for addtl savings but they look a little cheap. I've also looked at other sites where I can configure a system but the price then doubles. I'd like to spend under or around $1000. I prefer a wired sytem over wireless for the clarity and reliability. There's apparently several different soolutions, DVT or PC-based and it's getting confusing.

I'm learning a lot of new buzz words along the way and would appreciate some suggestions.

Regards and thanks in advance

Great questions, and you're right, it IS confusing as to what the best route for you would be. This is honestly where a security professional comes in. To be honest, your budget is fairly low, but there are solutions out there that may work for you. If I were in your shoes I would talk to your local security professional and see what sort of solutions they can provide to you.

Hi,

Hope this may help you.

Here are some questions you have to ask yourself.

a. Channel. try to look for the maximum channel on DVR so you will not have problem if you will add soon.

b. is your camera only analog? if not. you may choose Hybrid cards. where you may network both IP cameras and analog cameras.

c. lighting. you may consider IR cameras or Day night camera if you intend to cover areas that may be difficult to see at night without proper lighting.

d. Advance features. You may think of Motion detection or object detection or Events triggered features that my help to save HDD space.

e. Price. Dont settle for cheap DVR cards that may have no support or no future developement as it may be like throwing money at present and you may need to buy again in the future. There are many card that are more aggressively priced but have the advance features and the capacity to improve more via updates and optional features in the future.

Hope that helps.

best regards,

DVR POS