gthorne

Help with new system design

Hi, I'm a technology consultant for a small company that wants a security system. I know PC's, Mac's and networking, but this is my first foray into the security world.

I think I've got a grasp on what I need, it's just a matter of trying to figure out what brands and items would work the best.

Basically, I know that the client wants a PC-based solution, because I'll be building them a PC. There will be 2 cameras, and my budget is probably under $1000 (including the PC).

Here's the requirements I have:

1) Support for 2 cameras

2) Must be able to use web client on Mac under Safari or Firefox (no ActiveX controls)

3) Must support motion-triggered recording.

I started by looking at DVR cards, but I was having trouble finding one with a web client that would work under Mac.

Now, after looking around, I think IP may be the way to go.

Can anyone recommend either an IP camera and software combo that would

work for this application, or a DVR card that would work? Thanks for the help!

VideoInsight's software will work on pretty much any browser I've thrown at it, including a number of different mobile browsers on Windows Mobile, PalmOS, and MotoQ. They have four-, eight-, and 16-input cards available.

As far as IP cams, if you don't need to record the video but just want to view it remotely, you don't even need a PC - just plug the cameras into the network and point your browser them, each in its own tab or window. I can't speak for any others, but I know IQEye's cameras should work with a Mac browser - if there's no ActiveX support, they use a Java applet for viewing instead.

If you do need the recording capability, there are a number of options out there - the two I'm familiar with are VideoInsight's (their analog and IP servers are two separate products, although both can be run on the same system), and Vigil (which, unfortunately, does not have a web client, but if you're using IP cameras, again, you can just view those directly).

VideoInsight's software will work on pretty much any browser I've thrown at it, including a number of different mobile browsers on Windows Mobile, PalmOS, and MotoQ. They have four-, eight-, and 16-input cards available.

As far as IP cams, if you don't need to record the video but just want to view it remotely, you don't even need a PC - just plug the cameras into the network and point your browser them, each in its own tab or window. I can't speak for any others, but I know IQEye's cameras should work with a Mac browser - if there's no ActiveX support, they use a Java applet for viewing instead.

If you do need the recording capability, there are a number of options out there - the two I'm familiar with are VideoInsight's (their analog and IP servers are two separate products, although both can be run on the same system), and Vigil (which, unfortunately, does not have a web client, but if you're using IP cameras, again, you can just view those directly).

Yes u can

but Soundy u know well that in corporate world nobody would open ports

to see each camera direct

unless we are talking inside LAN only

Well, he did say they're a SMALL company, so I'm assuming there aren't a lot of big enterprise-level IT restrictions...

Yah, we can open ports.

How much does the Video Insight card and IP software cost? I called and talked to VI, but it seems their stuff was pretty pricey.

Any other IP software options that are any good (and preferably cheap)?

You could use ACTi IP cameras. If your going to use the cameras indoors check the the ACM-4201 cube camera. They run about $300 (for a 1.3 megapixel camera) or less and the ACTi NVR software is free.

http://www.acti.com/Catalogv5/Product_Information.asp?PART_NO=ACM-4200/ACM-4201

We are very happy with the ACTi cameras we have installed but I can't speak for there NVR software because I haven't tried it yet. But this would be a nice starting point for your system and when you have more budget you could install more capable NVR software.

I'd second the motion for Acti camera's, they are hard to beat in terms of cost versus performance. Their NVR software is pretty funky, though.

you might look at Exacq software, the price isn't bad, and they do have motion recording, and a plugin-free browser access that works great with Firefox and a Windows mobile phone with Opera I tried, along with a client software for Windoze or Linux....

@hardwired-

That looks like exactly what we need. How much does it run? I know the Video Insight software is about $500 for two cameras, is the Exacq software any cheaper?

You should be able to do well better than that if you shop around. We sell it for quite a bit less than that, but we're not really set up to retail it. Any takers on the forum here want to step in and offer something up for him?

I apparently can't send PM's yet. Looks like we may have the cameras, can I buy just the software off of you?