mvasilakis

AverMedia or VideoInsight

Hi,

I'm new here and spent the last couple of days ingesting and digesting everything I could about building my own system. I have a DedicatedMicros unit that I am having trouble with for the second time in five years and I'm not willing to pay the DM tax for hard drives. So I've decided the best way I can ensure that I can quickly have my unit up and running after a component failure is to build it myself.

I've narrowed my choice down to AverMedia's NV9000EXP-16CH or (2) VideoInsight VNH240-8.

I have spoken with Video-Insight and I've got to say I'm impressed with their customer service. I have yet to speak with AverMedia so I have no opinion there yet.

I would like to hear some unbiased experiences from anyone who has used the cards and can give me a comparison on some of the weaker points and strengths of each. (software & or hardware)

I don't really need a breakdown of the cards, that's online. Just some heads up of what I can expect to run into when I get going.

I got burned with DM and would like keep that from happening again.

Also I like to have high quality images so I went with the high end cards. (A clean image kept me out of jail once when some witnesses who saw the last 5 min of a conflict sided with a criminal. So yea I'll pay abit more for a good rig )

Both companies seem solid. I am concerned about the software since I cant really test it. And anything one or both cards might be missing in features that I may be accustomed to having with DM.

Your time and honesty will be greatly appreciated.

Mano

I sell & install both. Aver is a budget and VideoInsight is coorporate level. My clients are impressed with Video Insight's ease of integration and overall use.

$80.00 ???? don't get that comment. You normally get what you pay for, ok?

Also remember that the total package equals the overal quality. If your going to go coorporate then buy coorporate level camera's. Mega pizel cams are great but like analog cams you have to buy the right camera for the right location/lighting. ie. most IP megapixel cams deliver only 8fps at at the highest resolution. If you want a true 30fps megapixel you'll pay mucho dollar fot it. Unless you have a actual requirement for a 30fps camera I'd recommend you stay with the 8fps and be happy.

I just installed a 17 IP mega pixel camera system with Video Insight IP software.......client loves it and the pics are crazy clean. In my opinion, hardware cards are soon to be overrun by IP software since the quality of the ip software is equal to and/or better than, cpu is lower, and money saved can be applied to decent ip cameras.

I like the Acti ACM-7411 as my overall good to go ip mega pixel camera. works great with Video Insight's IP software and support is also great.

Keep in mind that the better megapixel the more storage & cpu processing required.

Avermedia? also works with Acti cams but the pic is not as clean....and Avermedia is klunky in terms of reviewing, copying, saving, video as compared to Video Insight. It works, you just have to go thru more steps to get there.

Video Insight is developed on a Microsoft sql frame which allows you to manipulate easier since we are all Microsoft minded.....same type of screen layouts with typical look and feel of Microsoft.so getting around is as easy as click and go.

bottomline......budget. you get what you pay for.......

later...

thank you both for your reply. i have the cameras already and im looking to replace the standalone dvr with a pc dvr.

i did go ahead and order the video-insight cards.

I think you'll be happy with the VI software. I demo'd their software for an installation of mine (thanks to VST_Man), and it's good stuff.