Happyhappydog

Suitable DVR after CCTV modulator

Hi. I have 4 camera, and they are modulated to 4 channels into one cable. This cable was distributed into each room. I would like to buy a DVR that can be put in one of my rooms, and record the image with Video Motion Detection. Is there such a product. All DVR I found have individual input for each camera.

Thanks.

HPHPdog

How are they being modulated? Do they run via the cablevision system to the TVs so they're tuned on a channel? Do they flip from one to the next? Or are they displayed on a split screen?

If they're being modulated onto a cable channel, I don't think you'll find a DVR that will work with that - it would have to have a TV tuner built in in that case... and you'd then either have it flipping camera-to-camera, which would negate the purpose of motion, or you'd be recording the split-screen, which would greatly reduce the quality of the individual cameras.

Frankly, no matter which way you look at it, you're probably better off just putting the DVR where the four cameras come in. Get one that has daisy-chained outputs so you can just "insert" it in the existing camera lines and they can then still feed the modulator system.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I did have the cameras modulated into cabel channel, so that I can connect to TV in any room I want.

I guess I have to connect the DVR to where the cameras come in (which is garage). The problem is that my TV is in the room across the house. I may have to get a monitor in the garage.

Thanks again.

HPHPdog

Another solution (although impractical and poor quality) is to go to Goodwill and buy 4 VCRs. These have TV tuners built into them that you could use to "reverse" the modulation. Turn the channel to a different camera on each VCR. Instead of using another RF output for a TV, use the RCA output to connect to a DVR.

That is a viable solution to your question; HOWEVER I would not advise recording a modulated video signal to begin with. The quality would be so poor, you might as well skip the "Digital" in "Digital Video Recorder" and just record on plain old VHS tapes.

When in doubt, hire a professional.

^Plus, you'd have to take that one line and split it four ways, which would cause significant signal degradation.