your argument is the same as saying why doesnt it work with windows 98/ME.

Silly thing is, it probably does... at least, the finder utility DOES work with Win2K... but the INSTALLER won't let you install it without XP. How dumb is that?

The ferrite beads, unfortunately, are often another sign of design/ manufacturing problems. When a manufacturer goes into (VERY expensive, by the hour) UL / CE labs certification for electromagnetic interference testing, the tech will usually have a pocketful of different ferrite beads in his pocket. If the design doesn't pass, he'll throw on beads until it does. The beads then become required to be packaged and installed on the finished product to meet the certification requirements.

Here's a link for info on the dome.

http://www.psdn.info/psdn/bulletins/PanasonicBulletinPN2009-10_WV-NW502SVandalResistantDomeCamera.pdf

From what the rep said, the box cams are 2-3 weeks out, dome 4-5 weeks to distribution (we use Northern)

The Panasonic WV-NW502S domes are now selling on the net in the range $1092 to $1145. At least one company claims to have the domes in stock.

Can we post links to products for sale? I can't seem to locate the FAQ that discusses that. Anyway, Google is your friend.

Best,

Christopher

Silly thing is, it probably does... at least, the finder utility DOES work with Win2K... but the INSTALLER won't let you install it without XP. How dumb is that?

do you need the installer though?

maybe just extract the required files, and put together your own installer? if i can help let me know.

I got (4) AV5155DN's ...

Also, do any of you really try to stuff that ferrite bead in there, or do you just leave it off?

I don't use the bead, or the foam... just makes the dome more cramped. I also use a right angle connector for the network port to avoid sharp bends in the cable within the dome.

Right-angle crimp-on RJ45s?? That would be handy! Never seen that!

Hey, here's another one for the rant list: the position of the network jack on these 3155s makes it unnecessarily difficult for anyone with even marginally thick fingers to unplug the cable, the gap between the locking tab and the housing is so narrow. How hard would it have been to rotate the thing 90 degrees?? I'd hate to try it with a patch cable with the rubber shroud over the tab.

This whole product line looks like a classic case of engineers slapping things together with no clue as to actually USING the product.

Yep, the dome casing is cramped... I just use needle nose pliers or gently disengage the tab with a screwdriver blade and pull.

Google "cat 5 right angle"... I use a short cable with a right angle plug on the end to do a one-time connection in the case, run the cable out the hole, and attach to a shielded female cat 5 jack or a female/female coupler.

Arecont should have made these domes just a little bigger to ease installation/adjustments/maintenance, and also allow longer lenses to be used in them.

do you need the installer though?

maybe just extract the required files, and put together your own installer? if i can help let me know.

Well, I've done that NOW... but the full package including NVR has to be installed on something first to extract those files; you can't just unzip the included installer and have the files there.

At least, that's the case with the software that Arecont makes readily available, both on the bundled CD and on their website. That's what 99% of the world is stuck with. They don't even tell you that there's a smaller "stand alone installer" finder/configuration utility available that will run without needing installation, which ak357 sent me.

Why wouldn't an intelligent company include that on the CD or on their website?

The ferrite beads, unfortunately, are often another sign of design/ manufacturing problems. When a manufacturer goes into (VERY expensive, by the hour) UL / CE labs certification for electromagnetic interference testing, the tech will usually have a pocketful of different ferrite beads in his pocket. If the design doesn't pass, he'll throw on beads until it does. The beads then become required to be packaged and installed on the finished product to meet the certification requirements.

Thanks... so the bead isn't required for "proper" operation, just to fit the rules. Good to know

Thanks... so the bead isn't required for "proper" operation, just to fit the rules. Good to know

...Assuming the cam does not generate enough interference to lock up a switch, etc..... Not likely, but a possibility, nonetheless.

My point was that the beads were just another sign of a design that wasn't fully thought through.

...Assuming the cam does not generate enough interference to lock up a switch, etc..... Not likely, but a possibility, nonetheless.

My point was that the beads were just another sign of a design that wasn't fully thought through.

Yeah, I'm noticing a lot of that with these cameras.