I bought a new IR Camera that gives me a great picture during the day but only a blur at night. It is a 24 IR 15 meter (50 ft) rated camera. I am wondering if the viewing area is too dark and too large. What else can I do? Will moving (lowering) the camera to shrink the area work? I haven't tried it yet as I just installed it last night. Or do I need a different camera?

provide more details - view angle, lens, distance to area being captured, overall lighting conditions, camera brand and price you payed

a screenshot with a person standing in capturea area facing camera would be most helpful

It is a 3.6 mm lens camera. The area is pitch black. When walking up within 10-15 feet of it it is fine but you need to be up close in the dark. After adjusting it, the area is too big and too dark for it. I tried another in the area with an adjustable 4-9 mm zoom and it performs much better although the range is alot smaller and narrower.

It is a 3.6 mm lens camera. The area is pitch black. When walking up within 10-15 feet of it it is fine but you need to be up close in the dark. After adjusting it, the area is too big and too dark for it. I tried another in the area with an adjustable 4-9 mm zoom and it performs much better although the range is alot smaller and narrower.

The picture quality has much to do with the resolution, lens and IR distance and so on.

As you said, you can reach a great picture during the day, but only a blur at night. So it has nothing to do with the resolution and lens. It should be the problem of IR distance. Almost all of the cameras has IR, some can reach a very long distance in the dark, while some can only cover a very small place.

Usually 3.6mm lens refers to the dome,and compared with vari-focal, it can cover wider view angle. However vari-focal lens can cover further view angle.