SAJEEL

Help with ptz wiring

I am setting up a system with 2 - 4 ptz cameras to a dvr pelco dx8100r in addition to 4 normal cameras, i am confused on rs485 side, can i use cat 5e wiring for rs 485 with connectors and what hub / router do i need ?

I am setting up a system with 2 - 4 ptz cameras to a dvr pelco dx8100r in addition to 4 normal cameras, i am confused on rs485 side, can i use cat 5e wiring for rs 485 with connectors and what hub / router do i need ?

Yes, you can use twisted-pair for RS-485 control. There is no need to use a hub if the PTZ's are either close to each other or in a line. You can daisy-chain as many as you want as long as you turn off the termination on all but the last one in the chain.

If that is not possible, Pelco makes a product called a CDU-T that is for RS-485 signal distribution. Also GE/Kalatel makes a product called the KTD-83 that does the same job.

I basically use a terminal block, put all the ptz cables in there as well as one to the controller, screw them all together and it works fine.

The manual says you need resisters to compensate for different cable lengths but I haven't had problems.

Thanks for the reply i understand, just one more question what connection do ptz cameras have are the terminal screws or a special rs485 connector ?

Thanks for the reply i understand, just one more question what connection do ptz cameras have are the terminal screws or a special rs485 connector ?

What special rs485 connector? -- Mine just has terminal screws on the actual rs485 to serial adapter.