RSole

Linux "H.264" from DVRUSA, is it really H.264 as a

My Ebay "win" of a Linux (advertised as)"H.264" 8Ch DVR just arrived from DVRUSA.

The no-name DVR card inside looks just like a "Neugent LX-08240 8" card which is MPEG4, but not H.264. I bought this solely because I wanted H.264. Did I get ripped off?

How can one determine if a unit is H.264 other than by reading possibly false specs?

The H.264 video encoding/decoding standard has been admitted that it is an advanced technology,but it's really not the first-choice video compression standard,especially when it's adopted in the CCTV product application(DVR board,Network video server,etc), it has some defects.

The H.264 Video encoding/decoding standard is adopted in the MPEG-4 part 10 standard, that means, H.264 only belongs to the part 10 of MPEG-4. In anothe words, H.264 doesn't exceed the MPEG-4 standard. It's incorrect when people say H.264 has the bettern video transmisstion quality than MPEG-4. Also,it doesn't make sense when people say MPEG-4 will migrate to H.264

===>so the key point is to see, whether the video transmission flow is reduced to a certain low range, whether the video quality is good, whether the video is played in real time...

Why is H.264 not better than other MPEG-4 standards for CCTV applications? I had assumed that since Geovision, and possibly others, tout H.264 as a superior encoder, that it was.