mdhill

cctv monitor cable advice

Help Desperately Needed!!

Long story short my father in law is fitting a cctv system in his new restaurant and has drafted me in as the I.T guy in the family, unfortunately I know nothing about it!!

he has bought a pc based system 'as is' from ebay, which seems to work ok. he has run coax cable to where he wants the cameras which isn't a problem (although its been a while since I crimped bnc ends!) the problem I have is he wants to display the camers on screens dotted around. for this he has also ran coax. I have a 4-way vga splitter (he is happy for each screen to display the same thing), but can i use the coax to do this? I.e. is there an end i can put on the cable at each end or do i need to tell him to run different cable? or, use tvs instead of monitors?

the pc based system has cards with inputs for the cameras but only 1 vga out for display.

Any help greatly apprecieated!!

If the only output is VGA, you'll need VGA monitors at the multiple locations, and either long VGA cables, or Cat5 cable with VGA baluns to get the signal there.

OR, you could use something like an AverKey to take the VGA signal and spit out composite video, which you can then run over the coax to regular TVs.

OR, you could run the cameras first into a quad, switcher or multiplexor; the cameras would then daisy-chain from that to the DVR, and that device would then drive the remote monitors.