blake

Camera selection for driveway..

My driveway is maybe is about 50ft long.I have a motion security light on my driveway.When the motion light is off,there is absolutely no light whatsoever on my driveway.It's completely dark.So do i get a camera that can see in zero illumination without ir lights,or do i get a camera that has ir's? My concern is when the security lights come on and off,that the picture will suffer or will the camera adjust quickly?

The answer is variable.

Depends on the camera selected, or the budget you wish to be in.

I would say go for the IR. This way if the power goes out, and you have a battery back up system then your system can still record.

What do you think?

Sounds like a winna..Here is my other question about a driveway cam.My garage roof has the flat side facing front with the roof angles of the left and right.Should i mount the camera under the sofitt which would put the camera at about 7'.Or should i mount the camera higher up on the flat face of the roof with the camera looking down onto the driveway/walkway?

More variables!!!! AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

LOL!

Where does the sun come up, and where does the sun go down?

Most cameras high above on a garage pointing down will have a verticle line right through the video.

This is the sun reflecting off of the windshield causing glare aimed at your camera.

The lower the better, or moving left, or right. Park the car there, and look at the "test" video before a permanent mount.

Summer is the best time to check this but think about how the sun moves south during the winter, and anticipate this new angle.

It may be better to have two cameras on both sides of the driveway if it is a two car driveway. (Hmmm. Park on the driveway, and drive on the parkway)?

This depends on how many cameras you are installing, and your budget.

Here is a trick. Get a long throw IR camera. Mount it by the front door aimed at the drive way. You will put it on the side of the door that is farther away from the drive. You will not see who is at your door, but you will see who approached your door (such as knock on the door, and no one is home, and kick the back door in), and you can see your driveway. Two birds with one stone on a budget!

More cameras are recommended!