blake

Dell Dimension 2200 want to convert to PC based dvr system

I have my original Dell Dimension 2200 PC that i haven't used in forever.Since it still works i want to use it to dwell into the PC based dvr world.This system will only be for my learning.Here are the specs with the computer the way it was originally built.

Windows XP operating system

1.3GHZ Celeron Processor

256MB

20gb Hard drive

I know i'll need to upgrade the ram and hard drive.I want to start off with a dvr card to run four cameras.I can't afford to get into ip cams right now so i will use standard cameras.I need help with exactly what starting materials i need.

That sounds like a PC from the late 90s

I dont know what DVR software will run on that, at least stable, but I know you will have issues trying to get GeoVision on there unless you were to use a very old version of it. That processor is very slow and that memory is barely enough for Windows XP default alone. Add to that the slower bus speeds and the slower hard drive ... bottom line is if you are going to buy some new parts might as well but a new PC one time .. you can by the parts for a new DVR for VERY cheap these days ..

I've priced new parts.I can get these two items for 370.00

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core - Retail

I can get a 1TB hard drive for 100.00.A motherboard for 100-150.00. Add in a new video and dvr card and i'm golden.Where can i get a new pc based dvr for 700.00-800.00?

I just priced up a PC with a 250GB HDD for a DVR on a retail store the other night and it was around $250. You dont need a gaming machine.

If you can pm me your build i'll be more than happy.That's what i mean,i need help building it.

I can get a 1TB hard drive for 100.00.A motherboard for 100-150.00. Add in a new video and dvr card and i'm golden.Where can i get a new pc based dvr for 700.00-800.00?

So, you think you need a quad core and maybe a couple videocards in SLI for a DVR machine...?

As you have been told, a computer so old (Celeron 1.3Ghz with 256Mb) is not worth upgrading. Doesn't matter if it works as well now as it did when you purchased it last century, you would spend more in bringing that computer up to date, than on buying a new machine with specs a lot better than what the upgrades will give you.

So, you think you need a quad core and maybe a couple videocards in SLI for a DVR machine...?

As you have been told, a computer so old (Celeron 1.3Ghz with 256Mb) is not worth upgrading. Doesn't matter if it works as well now as it did when you purchased it last century, you would spend more in bringing that computer up to date, than on buying a new machine with specs a lot better than what the upgrades will give you.

Seconded - I would guess that thing uses SD-RAM (PC100/133), and unless you have some laying around or can find some used modules for cheap on Craigslist, the RAM alone will probably cost you more than a new machine.

This is our main supplier - http://a-power.com/home-457 - they have brand new systems starting at

with your pc it is possible to run a dvr card...however you will require a hardware compression dvr card thus taking away processor load of your main computer..

if your planning on a software compression card based on what you have already.. the forget it... get yourself a new computer..

you require minimum of 512-1gb memory..

decent graphics.. entry level.. nvidia fx5200

and depending on how many number of weeks you want your recording.. a good size hard disk.. preferably as a slave driver

nothing is impossible...

I just got a new IBM Lenovo with Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, 320gb hard drive, and dvd writer for $299. It's flippin fast! Mine came with Vista Premium but I saw the same spec PC on sale in a Tiger Direct catalog that shipped with 7 premium for $269!!! Problem is, it's not available to order yet.

I dare you to find a better deal on a PC!

For 319.00 I can get a tower with these specs.

Asus P5KPL-AM SE Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Processor BX80570E8200

2GB Ultra PC5400 DDR2 667Hz Memory

750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive

Power Up 336 Corporate ATX Case with 450 Watt Power Supply

I have my own xp disk and burner drive already.

Here's the link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4820683&CatId=2405

All i'm looking for is something simple to just run 8 cameras using a Geovision GV-650-8 card setup with motion recording