serbokl

newbie question regarding typical native color saturation

Just bought my first CCD camera, an LTCMRH3508. The images produced by this camera have very low color saturation. In case it might be attributable to the QSD9004V DVR, I also tested it using the video input on a 40" Samsung LCD - pretty much the same results colorwise. Bottom line is the camera has relatively little color compared to what I am seeing with my eyes. And the color that is present is not accurate: vibrant reds look pale pink. Is this indicative of a defective camera or am I missing something? When the saturation adjustment on the 9004v is maxed out it has very little effect on images this camera produces (as seen on the dvr's vga output). The hue adjustment of the 9004v also has very little effect. If I understand correctly, if saturation is poor to start with then setting hue is mostly futile (?). Would appreciate any suggestions/comments.

Not to hurt your feelings but "you get what you pay for" cheap camera bad image. If you want a better image look at Panasonic, Bosch, Samsung .......

You're not hurting my feelings. I did understand that $80 wasn't buying me a top-quality camera. What I am apparently learning now is that color rendition is typically a function of camera cost, which I did not previously know. I thought cost was more related to nighttime performance and resolution. I appreciate very much your information and I'm still entirely open for additional comments.

Simple, it has no IR Cut Filter. That is considered a Color IR camera.

Resolution: Get a True Day/Night Camera with ICR (Infrared Cut Filter), or just a Color only Camera which typically has a fixed ICR.

One thing you dont have to do is spent hundreds of dollars to get decent color, now the rest such as higher quality hardware and better light handling, thats a different story.

Optionally, see if you can locate a camera store locally or online and buy an IR Cut Filter to manually place over the camera, but that will require some work. They come in various sizes.

How do you know what nm filter to buy?I see B&H photo has a 650nm IR Cut Filter 13.6mm diameter for only five bucks.

<>

Thanks for your information! Would manually installing an IR Cut Filter be somewhat difficult because it ought to be placed inside the camera housing, right on the camera lens, rather than outside the housing? When these IR Cut Filters are found on higher quality cameras is it safe to assume they are moved in and out of position by a small solenoid motor?

Simple, it has no IR Cut Filter. That is considered a Color IR camera.

Resolution: Get a True Day/Night Camera with ICR (Infrared Cut Filter), or just a Color only Camera which typically has a fixed ICR.

One thing you dont have to do is spent hundreds of dollars to get decent color, now the rest such as higher quality hardware and better light handling, thats a different story.

Optionally, see if you can locate a camera store locally or online and buy an IR Cut Filter to manually place over the camera, but that will require some work. They come in various sizes.

Yes its normally between the chip and the lens, and the removable ones are normally done with a small motor that moves it back and forth.

The photo camera ones can be placed after the lens though. But yes they need to be secure from weather.