TVEngineer77

PoE Switch vs Power Inserter

Quick question - is there any reason a Cat5e power inserter would be less desirable over a PoE ready switch?

Would it be safer to go that way rather than rely completely on the switch itself (and thus if it fails, the entire system is dead)?

I do realize this is contingent upon the number of cameras in the system, and as it sits now I will have no more than 4.

Thoughts?

Cost and number of cameras would be the main concern, to me. If you're only talking one or two cameras, injectors would probably be more cost-effective than a whole new switch. Beyond that, though, individual injectors can become a logistical nightmare, as each will probably also have its own wall-wart power supply - you end up with a mess of power bars, power adapters, and injector boxes.

If you have structured wiring in place (camera feeds into a patch panel), a switch is definitely cleaner and easier to integrate.

It usually depends on the application. In installs in schools, etc., where there are existing (non-PoE) switches in many locations, and I am adding only a few cameras per switch, I use injectors (Phihong makes decent ones)

In a ground-up install, I try to use managed, or at least "smart" switches with PoE, so I can implement VLAN's, and if needed, power cycle cams remotely (not that cams ever lock up, right?!? )

Another option is if you have a good managed non-PoE switch already in place, and want to add more than a few cams, is a PoE multiport midspan injector (Phihong, or PowerDsine) to add PoE capability.

Phihong is announcing upcoming new models of PoE up to 95 watts per port, Gigabit compatible....you could run a lot of stuff on that!

also keep in mind with the POE switch you have one thing to plug in. If you go with injectors for 4 cameras now you have 5 things to find a place to plug in....... can be difficult if your putting stuff in outdoor boxes