bpzle

Need a Camcorder

It's been a while since I've been in the camcorder market... but we have a youngin on the way and I need to make up my mind. I've done a little research, read lots of reviews. I'm looking at the Sony HDR-XR500V.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=HDRXR500V&catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1

Even though this is a CCTV forum, I figured I'd get some good input from some fellow techies. What do you guys think? $1,100 is a big investment for me. Anything else you'd recommend? [/url]

I was too when I started looking around. Apparently its the norm for consumer HD. Sony does make CCD but their like 1/5" and have horrible lux.

Picked it up yesterday... couldn't be happier. I'd highly recomend it. The video is stunning. Steady shot is the best I've seen. Its so fluid. Menus are a bit cumbersome, but don't really need to be messed with too much so its ok. Smile detection is neat. So is the geotagging. I'd highly recomend this baby if your in the market...