Racer_X

Kodicom KMC-4416R and WebDVR

I still cant view from behind a firewall.... but everything else seems to work just fine. I still feel that it is my place of employment's firewall that restricts the active-x connection. I can view from anywhere else on the WWW. I will prolly sell this off and find a hardware/software package that will allow me to view.

Looking at the WebDVR HTML code, ports 8080 and 8081 are also used.

To get this going:-

Find THREE ports that are open in your employer's firewall, let's say for example they're 10000, 10001 and 10002 (you may have to ask your IT bods for this, explaining what they're needed for)

On your own router, forward 10000 to port 80 on the IP address of your CCTV

(If your router gives the option of TCP or UDP, choose TCP for these three ports)

As above, but forward 10001 to port 8080

As above, but forward 10002 to port 8081

On your CCTV system, open C:\apache\htdocs\webdvr.html with WordPad

Find the "function OnConnect(){" line

Just below that, you'll see 8080 and 8081, change them to 10001 and 10002

Save the file

Open C:\apache\htdocs\webdvr32.html and do the same here

(webdvr32.html is the 32-channel version)

The one downside to this is that when you're back at home (or wherever the CCTV is) you'll have to view it "from outside". In other words, put in the same URL as you would at work (including the port number). This is because from outside access in this example is via ports 10000, 10001 and 10002 (as per the HTML), but from inside access is via 80, 8080 and 8081, (so the HTML is wrong). By putting this URL in you're going out through your firewall, then coming back in again (and getting port-forwarded to the correct ports on the CCTV).

One slight variation (that I've done on my system) is to do this:-

Forward 10000 to 10000 instead of 80

Open C:\apache\httpd.conf with WordPad

About a third of the way down, change Port 80 to Port 10000

Save the file and reboot the CCTV system

Edited by Guest

Alternatively you could ask your works IT bods if they'd poke a hole in the firewall from your PC's IP address to the outside world, on ports 8080 and 8081, both TCP not UDP.

Kinda related tip:

If you are ever behind a firewall that is blocking a website you need to get to.. go to google and then go to translate.. from english to english the site you want to view and voila.

..has helped me a few times when some uptight admin has banned access to all sites with the word "video" on them

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that they Apache server that comes with WebDVR is a pretty old version and its vulnerable to exploits. I ran a vulnerability assessment on it and noticed that there a couple of exploits that could allow people to remote shutdown the apache server hence causing your DVR to stop recording which is not a good thing.

Thank you

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that they Apache server that comes with WebDVR is a pretty old version and its vulnerable to exploits. I ran a vulnerability assessment on it and noticed that there a couple of exploits that could allow people to remote shutdown the apache server hence causing your DVR to stop recording which is not a good thing.

Thank you

What version of server (site) software are you running?