melisandeneowald

RG59 Braid density : Important?

Hi,

I think I know the answer to this one, but just to make sure : Is the Braid density important for CCTV on a RG59 cable?

I see a lot of online stores and some cables are cheap, but I guess we get what we pay for.

For example, would you choose the cable in the first picture if it was really cheaper?

Cable 1:

114973_1.jpg

Cable 2:

114973_2.jpg

The cable in the first picture appears to have substantially less shield coverage than the one in the second picture. I would estimate 70%. CCTV coax cable should have 95% or better shielding.

To expand a little on what Survtech said: The braid shield on a unbalanced cable (like coax) is what helps keep the good stuff in on the center conductor (your video signal, about 1 volt or less), and the bad stuff out (interference from AC power, RF signals, Etc.)...

95% is a (common) norm for quality cable. Anything less is asking for trouble.

I thought that 95% meant that 95% of the braid was made of copper (and 5% of other metal). So if I understand well, in fact it means 95% of the shield area is covered by the braid. And the braid is 100% copper.

Is that right?

I thought that 95% meant that 95% of the braid was made of copper (and 5% of other metal). So if I understand well, in fact it means 95% of the shield area is covered by the braid. And the braid is 100% copper.

Is that right?

Should the braid must made of copper?

I usually use Cable Pro with 90% or 95% braid coverage, I think the braid is not made of copper, but some kind of metal colored white/silver/iron color, not yellow/copper.

Is it okay?

I think even Belden coax cable, the braid is not made of copper?

Thanks.

Should the braid must made of copper?

I usually use Cable Pro with 90% or 95% braid coverage, I think the braid is not made of copper, but some kind of metal colored white/silver/iron color, not yellow/copper.

Is it okay?

I think even Belden coax cable, the braid is not made of copper?

Thanks.

Yes. copper in and out.