pollster

Geovison online monitoring

I have a number of Geovision systems installed primarily on Dell GX270 SFF machines. Problem is with both bad capacitors and other power or internet related issues, these systems periodically go off line. And since I only log into these systems when a customer calls needing me to retrieve video, I am discouraged to find the system has been off line for days or weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to monitor these machines so I am notified if they go off line?

Thanks, Ken

I believe they have something called a Health Server or something, that either comes on the CD or you can purchase it separately. I wrote an app a couple years ago that checked a list of DVRs every X amount of minutes and sounded a siren and updated the log if it could not connect, was going to go for email on errors also, but there was a power outage while I had it opened and i lost everything .. ofcourse I learned from that mistake, lost 2 weeks of code and had no other backup anywhere, but it wont happen again. Unfortunately I dont have the app due to the loss of code but something like that is not difficult to write in VB. EDIT; I do have some of the code as I had a backup from the beginning of development but lost the real working code. I was going to rewrite it but just didnt have any need to, as I dont really monitor a bunch of DVRs.

Rory

I believe they have something called a Health Server or something, that either comes on the CD or you can purchase it separately. I wrote an app a couple years ago that checked a list of DVRs every X amount of minutes and sounded a siren and updated the log if it could not connect, was going to go for email on errors also, but there was a power outage while I had it opened and i lost everything .. ofcourse I learned from that mistake, lost 2 weeks of code and had no other backup anywhere, but it wont happen again. Unfortunately I dont have the app due to the loss of code but something like that is not difficult to write in VB. EDIT; I do have some of the code as I had a backup from the beginning of development but lost the real working code. I was going to rewrite it but just didnt have any need to, as I dont really monitor a bunch of DVRs.

Rory

Don't have to create wheel

Google for host monitoring

Thats like saying dont cook, just buy frozen food

Thanks though, I will check it out.

Thats like saying dont cook, just buy frozen food

Thanks though, I will check it out.

By the way

some good soft can monitor any port regardless what behind

i mean DVR,IP cams or whatever

as long as you have something streaming on this port it can be monitored

and create rules for alarm, e-mail and so on

that how I monitor one of my corporate client with about 20 DVRs

and few other

which bring another ? why not to charge for it

VSM Vital Sign Monitoing

Very nice product, maybesome of the best Geovision have done the last 5 years!

JD

I dunno about GV's take on the idea, but Vigil has a Central Management utility that shows not just the health of your DVRs, but stats like software version, total/active/recording cameras, CPU usage, free/total disk space, active remote connections, days of retention, and date/time of the oldest footage. You can have it email or sms notifications to you as well, if number of active or recording cameras drops below a set level (ie. camera video loss), if days of storage drops below a defined threshold, or on a number of other criteria, including of course, if the VCM server loses contact with the DVR.

Little more inclusive than just having Google check whether the server is there or not

Little more inclusive than just having Google check whether the server is there or not

I did not mean to use Google for host monitoring

I meant use Google to find software