pjkovie

Help with system in Scranton, Pa.

I have been given control of a system that is a CP Cam 4CH MPEG-4 with Version 2020-10-K*-04-AA-14 firmware. Does anyone know if there is someone in the Scranton vicinity who could help with this system? Three problems - 1) one camera continues to fade in and out under dark conditions. I guess that there may be something wrong with the IR of this camera. 2) The USB for back-up sometimes recognizes a flash drive and other times does not. Two different drives that have kinda worked previous. I have reset the system and then they work and then later are not even read by the console. What I mean by kinda is that the files are corrupted and not readable. They are .787 file extensions. I have been able to get a few files that I have converted to work, but most attempts have been unsuccessful. It also takes an extremely long time to back-up a small amount of time; hours to back-up minutes of video data. 3) I need a new MS621FE 3 Volt rechargeable lithium battery for this system. If the power is shut off, the clock and date are all lost and need resetting. Not to mention that this screws up the time stamp of the existing video files. I think that's why the files were corrupted and not usable. Any help that anyone can shed on these problems will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your advice.

wow buddy... hate to say it, but it sounds like you'd be better off just upgrading your system. 4 channel DVRs are so cheap these days that unless it's under warranty, I'd just chunk it...

I am about a hour away from you. I could stop by and do a service call if you would like.

i saw this post this morning but was leaving before i could post anything. just what i was going to surgest

as thewireguys are in your area give them a call. This will save time and money. this forum is a very powerful port to finding the best cctv solution but it is very hard to give advice over the forum without seeing the install and as thewireguys are in PA. not only with you joining the forum for advice it has also given you a installer on you doorstep.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Frankly, I was thinking of upgrading and expanding the system to 8 channels based on this systems limitations. What I'll need to do though is have the funding approved. There is a guy in our area that "sold" us this unit. I have contacted him regarding these problems and he has yet to get back to me. That's almost two weeks ago. I will give him one more try and see what he has to offer before I look elsewhere. I was just looking to see if others out there could feel my pain and maybe could suggest a few easy fixes. I thought that maybe a firmware upgrade or something simple to help the USB problem. I'll look into the troublesome camera; it just may need a sensitivity adjustment. Sounds like the easiest fix will be a different system. Again, thanks for the help!

There is a guy in our area that "sold" us this unit. I have contacted him regarding these problems and he has yet to get back to me. That's almost two weeks ago. I will give him one more try and see what he has to offer before I look elsewhere.

I wouldn't bother. That raises a lot of red flags... Why would you spend more money with this guy if he doesn't even back what he's already sold you?

See what the thewireguys can offer as far as an upgrade. Franky, a service call on a 4 channel unit that's a few years old and out of warranty is a waste of money and time IMO.

1) one camera continues to fade in and out under dark conditions. I guess that there may be something wrong with the IR of this camera.

1st check - bad camera power supply.

2nd check - bad camera

if its the blinking eclipse cctv camera, its more then likely the power supply.

2) The USB for back-up sometimes recognizes a flash drive and other times does not. Two different drives that have kinda worked previous. I have reset the system and then they work and then later are not even read by the console. What I mean by kinda is that the files are corrupted and not readable. They are .787 file extensions. I have been able to get a few files that I have converted to work, but most attempts have been unsuccessful. It also takes an extremely long time to back-up a small amount of time; hours to back-up minutes of video data.

Not the best DVR for evidence sharing, the CPCam is the AvTech, please search on it.

3) I need a new MS621FE 3 Volt rechargeable lithium battery for this system. If the power is shut off, the clock and date are all lost and need resetting. Not to mention that this screws up the time stamp of the existing video files. I think that's why the files were corrupted and not usable.

Take a look here please:

http://scorpiontheater.com/avtparts.aspx

As mentioned, might be time to upgrade, but if you are as tight on money as I am, you probably just want to get it working. If you cant find the exact battery, see if you can find an equivalent from a local photo store, radio shack, electronic store, or pharmacy, etc.

Thanks to all who have replied with helpful advice. I will bring this info to the attention of the directors and move forward on their approval. In the mean time, I'll investigate what has been suggested. Thanks!

I forgot to mention, but I figured this is a new problem and it was working fine before, if the picture goes black at night, or has fading issues at night, and it is a new install, the wire could be the incorrect type or gauge for that camera and distance. This normally only happens with larger powerful IR cameras though, not the standard IR bullets or IR domes.

Thanks for the thoughts. Actually, it is a domed IR that used to function properly (I guess) and is the closest to the DVR. I have just discovered some literature for this camera and will continue to investigate what I can.