rory

Camera Focus Software

Anyone seen anything that you can use, say on a laptop, which gives you a meter of the focus, or clarity of the video, telling you when it is best? It doesnt have to be video, could also just be something that compares images, as using the API or ActiveX we could just keep saving images of the video and use those to compare, automatically.

Thanks,

Rory

Edited by Guest

Haven't seen anything like that, but when focusing megapixel cams, I often use system menus that show the file size of frames, it usually correlates pretty well with focus, as file size increases with detail in the image.

That comparison falls apart when you start closing the iris, though, as the noise in the image has the same effect.

I would think you could build a plugin for VLC or something like that fairly easily.

Let me state very clearly I'm not saying anthing about lines of resolution here....

Anyone seen anything that you can use, say on a laptop, which gives you a meter of the focus, or clarity of the video, telling you when it is best? It doesnt have to be video, could also just be something that compares images, as using the API or ActiveX we could just keep saving images of the video and use those to compare, automatically.

Thanks,

Rory

I want one too, Ive had many dreams about an app like that

empak

One way of doing it would be to display the luminance spectrum in real time, just tweak for the highest frequency content which would equate to the sharpest image. This could also be converted so that, the sharper the focus, the higher an audio oscillator sounds.