Marshall

Proper and safe enclosure for larger camera

We have been experiencing vandalism in our laundrymat on a regular basis. We tried a fake camera a long time ago, and someone actually ripped it down and stole it. We have these very small dome cameras mounted on the ceilings, and they have horrible resolution, and have not helped us in identifying suspects.

I have since acquired some better cameras, but they are larger units. They are Samsung cameras, the larger 30X zoom type that they make, about 2.5x2.5x6" in size I'm guessing. What I need to find is an enclosure that will deter these people from stealing the zoom camera inside. The people don't seem to be afraid of being caught on video, so I can't imagine what they will attempt upon seeing what's inside the dome.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for a strong enclosure?

Thanks

I'm assuming your referring to a "box" style camera? Is the lens detachable? Kinda like this?

If so, why did you pick this style of camera? Can you return them? I wouldn't rule out "dome" cameras just because you had cheap ones that sucked... In fact I would probably recommend a vandal resistant dome camera.

If your stuck with the cameras you already got... there's a ton of protected mounting options. Do you have a drop ceiling, aka ceiling tiles?

samsung.jpg.dd198ce774637d947f2ce3d0e463f505.jpg

Although a box camera can normally be a better image, I wouldnt count out the vandal dome just yet, for that location at least. As with all camera types, some domes can be awful. One thing you could do is gut the dome and install a mini cube camera into it, something like a KT&C mini cube camera. Otherwise, try a better dome, a vandal resistant one but from a decent brand - and dont go for the cheapest model, as they all sell their budget version, which is budget for a reason.

There are some corner mount vandal housings for box cameras, or dome/ceiling mount also.

Thanks for the response. The cameras I purchased were not purchased for this duty, they were purchased for brief outdoor use in daylight and I got them at a good price, so I have extras. They look like the picture, only with the lens removed (front is almost flush).

If right from the start you recommend not tempting them with the cameras I have, and going with a vandal-resistant dome camera, that is fine. I just want something with good resolution, and safe of course. If the cameras are $100-200 each, and I buy two, that is OK, price-wise.

My plan was to record the video to the PC that I have on the other side of the wall using a capture card. I will probably need to buy another 1-2TBs of hard drive space I'm guessing to get a decent amount of footage saved.

Does this look like a decent capture card? http://www.dvrmaster.com/product-854-affordable-geovision-mpeg-4-h-264-pc-capture-card-30fps-display-amp-recording-4ch-video-1ch-audio-windows-xp-vista-compatible.html

Look at Avermedia's NV3000 card. It's a little cheaper. I've never used GeoVision so I can't vouch for them.

For the box cameras, they make recessed enclosures but they're a little pricey. Probably more expensive than what your cameras are worth. A normal outdoor enclosure wouldn't provide very much protection in my opinion... Especially when mounted low indoors. They're big and stick out from the wall. A theif could get pretty good leverage on one just by swinging on it or using a rope to pull it down.

Your best bet in my opinion would just be to get new vandal resistant dome cameras. CNB makes some cheap ones, but I've grown partial to Eclipse. I would be inclined to go with a "turret" style dome as it's harder to break the glass than it would be a full polycarb dome.

Edited by Guest

also, how many days do you need recorded at a time before the system automatically writes over itself? 2 TB is probably overkill for a 4 camera system...

Setup to record on motion only with pre and post event recording. This will capture only what's needed, and not waste space on the drive.

There's a lot of variables, but just to give you any idea... My dvr at the house records 7 exterior cameras 5 of which face a busy street. With motion based recording, a 750gb drive, and capturing MPEG4 video at D1, 7 fps, I get about 3-4 months of video.