robstach

Newbie Rookie Needs Some Help~!

Hello everyone... looking for some help / advice.

To preface this; I am not in the industry but am no stranger to electronics, PCs, etc.. So, I'm not completely helpless (I think).

My situation is similar to another post I just read through (16 camera install with diag. lines).

Here's my sotry: Have had a series of home invasions, break-ins, and all sorts of fun stuff around here lately. I decided to install a 4 camera system myself since in my mind, I'm no dummy!

I purchased a Speco DVR8TH and 4 Speco CVC-627s. My cameras are mounted around my home directly to my siding (problem #1?).

I made my "command station" in the basement which as of right now only has one outlet (problem #2?). The same outlet also has my alarm system transformer screwed down leaving only one open receptacle.

Ran cables through walls, floors, etc..which was a hell of a good time by the way! And all end up in the basement. Longest run is 60 feet.

DVR is plugged into a very nice APC UPS (1500w) as well as the monitor. Cameras are powered by an extension cord since the direction of the adapters does not allow for them to be plugged into the APC. (problem #3?) I DID run an extension upstairs to try powering the cameras from a different outlet - same issue.

Once the DVR is powered up and running the image quality is nothing short of ugly. Cameras directly connected to a TV or from the callout monitor plug on the DVR look fine. It's just live view and recorded images that look like crap.

Great - I think something is wrong with the DVR. Bring it upstairs and plug it in on the island in the kitchen. Try same cameras - works great. Nice image. Happy fun time!

I am wondering what can be done here? Do you think having another outlet installed will remedy this situation? My electrical panel is located in the basement not too far from where I would like the DVR, could EMF be causing this? (House is only 5 years old).

I dread pulling all the wires back up and punching through yet another wall to get this things setup in my office but if I have to ..... I guess I have to.

So - any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance for any / all help.

Rob

Electrical would be my last guess in this case...

What kind of wire did you pull? That's where I'd first point the finger... I know, I know... not a fun thought.

Hey there. Thanks for the reply.

The speco cvc-627s cone with a 60 foot cable (attached). I didn't realize this when I ordered them. At first I thought it was great but quickly realized that I would have preferred a pigtail.

Electrical is my guess too. Spent the night re-routing and am happy with the results minus the constant fan noise from the dvr in my office. I'm half deaf so I guess it could be worse.

So you did have electrical issues? Weird... Maybe the circuit you were using was shared by something else like a fridge or the HVAC?

So these cameras came with 60' of cable already attached? That's no fun. I would be concerned with the quality...

It may be possible that cheap attached cable ran parallel with some power wires and picked up noise. That could explain why the noise disappeared after moving the DVR....

Hey Bpzle...

I actually misread your first reply regarding electrical being your last guess .. sorry about that.

My basement only has one outlet in it right now, which is stupid for 900 sq feet but it's not finished and just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The only other item on that outlet is not my alarm adapter. Not sure if this could cause issues or not. The thing that's throwing me off is that even when I ran the extension from upstairs to the basement I had the same issue which is leading me to think that something was generating some sort of noise down there. Weird.

The cables were just laying across the floor while in the basement as I was still getting myself "installed" so they were really nowhere near any other wires but I'm no electrician so your guess is probably more accurate than mine.

I wondering if the EMF from my main panel was causing interference.

Anyway - I have an IP based system for my indoor cameras running in my office so I guess it makes sense to have this one next to it.

When I add some more outlets I'm going to try to move it back downstairs. Doing the work is actually less painful than thinking about it.

I apreciate your help! Thanks so much!

In most cases, a circuit is shared by multiple outlets. Meaning, if you were to turn the breaker off you would turn off multiple outlets/ devices.

Great point! That's why I came here to ask for help!

Perhaps adding some outlets (I have several open spots for breakers) will clear things up.

Thanks again man, definitely needed help getting my thinking cap on!

Rob