Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new 4 port BNC capture card. I made the mistake of buying a qsee card and now I am tied to their crappy superDVR software. I am hoping for something that's cheap, compatible with most DVR software (not propitiatory - like qsee), and a Developers API couldn't hurt.

Ohh and I hate cards/software that only offer viewing via IE. ActiveX sucks! I want to have as many options as possible.

I've been reading for a while about this and I am leaning towards a geovision card. What do you guys think?

This one is the cheapest: [edit by mod-pirate card link removed]

your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new 4 port BNC capture card. I made the mistake of buying a qsee card and now I am tied to their crappy superDVR software. I am hoping for something that's cheap, compatible with most DVR software (not propitiatory - like qsee), and a Developers API couldn't hurt.

Ohh and I hate cards/software that only offer viewing via IE. ActiveX sucks! I want to have as many options as possible.

I've been reading for a while about this and I am leaning towards a geovision card. What do you guys think?

This one is the cheapest: [edit by mod-pirate card link removed]

your advice is greatly appreciated.

do a bit of info on that site you have posted. look for the basics first. address NO .... phone number NO ..... back-up service NO. THEN do whois.com on website OOHHH LOOK YOUR MONEY IS GOING TO HONG KONG.

Thanks!

Yea I hear you, it's not a reputable site but that wasn't really my question. What's a cheap capture card that can do what I am asking above?

Yea I hear you, it's not a reputable site but that wasn't really my question. What's a cheap capture card that can do what I am asking above?

if you are looking for a cheap dvr card then buy from the site you listed. that is a cheap card. just remember clone cards are bad news ALL CHEAP CARDS are bad news.

Thats an illegal card, most on that site are, we cannot discuss them here sorry.

Geovision is a decent brand, there are many others also.

Geovision seems popular on here. Can you recommend one?

A google search for Geovision returned that card above as the cheapest available. I didn't know it was a clone or whatever.

Geovision seems popular on here. Can you recommend one?

A google search for Geovision returned that card above as the cheapest available. I didn't know it was a clone or whatever.

Hi benny. start with this link. and ask if they have a distributor near you. or ask rory. but googling giovision is a waste of time. they are so many clone cards about it is just not worth it. but you are not going to buy cheap cards. pro equipment like geovision are one of the leaders and worth spending money. good for you and also your customer to have there support.

http://www.usavisionsys.com/index.php

Damn those are expensive, lol.. well over $1000! What's so bad about a clone and how do I know if I am buying one?

Seriously... I can't see myself paying more than $200. Am I being too cheap for what I want?

Is this a clone too?

It appears to be legit.

Software version is current, 8.3

Another thing to look at is the Resolution, on clones it is typically max of 640x480, while Geo can do 720x480 . Also the clones dont always have the up to date compression types.

That's great news. A couple more questions about geovision cards.

Is there an API available for programmers like myself? I don't like to be bound to the stock options, I want to be able to use an alternative DVR capture software, if I find that the default app sucks. Is the cam output free to all windows software, for example can I record in windows movie maker, or is it using proprietary drivers that only a GV app can read from? Are there options to run a custom command line script on motion detected? If I record only on motion, does the DVR immediately save and release that avi after recording is done?

I appreciate all the help guys, this is my second try at a DVR system and I want to get it right for once.