madkad

Viewing online?

Hi

I own a XVision 4 channels DVR and I am after viewing from the internet, I am wondering what I need to be able to do this?

I wounded if I needed to run it to a pc and set the pc up as a server or something?

I have viewed it over a LAN line through my pc before now but not over the internet.

Hope some one can help.

thanks for the reply

so would I need to plug my LAN cable direct to the router or would I go from my pc first?

To truely answer your question you would need to call a local computer / networking business to have them come out, and look at your system.

Most residential, and light commercial businesses will have a modem. A wire goes from the modem to a router. The router will allow multiple computers, and netorked DVRs to plug in to the router.

The DVR will need to be setup in the menu to match the router that you are using, and you will need to take the port number that the DVR uses, and you will need to perform a portforward in the router menu to allow the video to travel on the LAN, and the WAN.

http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

Thanks for that, I think I could do it, only thing is my router ect isnt near my DVR, I have some of them LAN plugs socket things though so could try them, or a spar wireless router I have i could try and do it all wireless.

again thank you

If you're within 100 meters (328 ft), you're better off using a cat5 cable to connect the router to the dvr. Other than the data rates of wired (100Mbps) versus wireless (54Mbps) you may have to consider interference to the wireless signal. Is it line of sight? How many walls/floors between the router location and the dvr? What material are they made of?