billeh

1st attempt at wireless video solution = medicore

I'm looking for some pointers on wireless video solutions. The company I work for employs a salesman who often will do a home & business package deal for customers. So we all know running cable in homes is a huge pain in the arse, so we recently delved into wireless solutions. We ended up going with a transmitter & receiver from our main supplier, but after testing the system in the office, and installing it at the residence, I'm not really impressed. The video is very touchy... plenty of static, cuts out from time-to-time... The cameras are mounted on the corner of the garage, and DVR is in the kitchen about 30 ft away. Obstacles include the front door of the home, and wall of the garage. We even bought 6ft coax cables, and a couple high-gain antennas to acheive the shots. The transmitters are inside of the garage, the receiver in the kitchen of the home. Antenna are in the soffit of the garage, facing the house. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for some pointers on wireless video solutions. The company I work for employs a salesman who often will do a home & business package deal for customers. So we all know running cable in homes is a huge pain in the arse, so we recently delved into wireless solutions. We ended up going with a transmitter & receiver from our main supplier, but after testing the system in the office, and installing it at the residence, I'm not really impressed. The video is very touchy... plenty of static, cuts out from time-to-time... The cameras are mounted on the corner of the garage, and DVR is in the kitchen about 30 ft away. Obstacles include the front door of the home, and wall of the garage. We even bought 6ft coax cables, and a couple high-gain antennas to acheive the shots. The transmitters are inside of the garage, the receiver in the kitchen of the home. Antenna are in the soffit of the garage, facing the house. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi billeh. wireless cctv does not work and it sounds like you have 2.4ghz system. these system will never work to many household equipment will give you problems.

they are wireless systems out there that cost mega bucks. like avermedia but for the cost i would go ip.

Hello

Analog wireless cameras are 300 feet line of sight. Check your specs. Line of sight means that the two antennas have to see each other. If they do not see each other then this is the first issue.

For beginer installers who need a tool then there is this plus software that can be used on a laptop.

http://www.metageek.net/

http://www.metageek.net/products/chan-lite

It connects to a USB. Depending on what level software you use you can see things that may interfere with your cameras.

Most cordless phones are on 2.4Ghz just like your wireless cameras. The best solution is to change one, or the other to 5.8Ghz. Cordless phones come in 5.8Ghz. This will cut down on a lot of interference.

The next one is wireless internet routers.

You will need to go in to the router's configuration, and change to a different channel until you are no longer interfering with the cameras.

To test your system, un plug all wireless phone base station (not the charging stations for the extra phones), and unplug your router, and see if your video clears up.

Most wireless cameras will have about 100 milliwatts of power. This is the same as a child's walkie talkie.

You cannot put a transmitter in the same case as the camera. The heat from the transmitter will burn out the camera. This is why the power is so low. The other is you would need to build heatsinks, and fans.

High power systems will have regular cameras that plug in to an external transmitter. This will have heat sinks, and fans to keep things cool.

Poles are used to get antennas above trees, and roof tops.

The antennas have to be pointed at each other.

Omin directiona antennas will send the power signal in all directions. Beam antennas will send the power signal in one direction. Think of a beam antenna as if it were a flash light.

Point the flash light in one direction. It is narrow at the source, and it gets wider the farther away you go.

Take your cameras distance rating, and cut it in half.

Think of a ramp, or a sideways triangle. one side is signal strenght, and the bottom line is distance. The farther away you go the less power you have. The signal may go 300 feet, but there is barely any power to measure. At the half way point you have a good level of power to work with.

When you put a wall between the two antennas you will need to move the transmitter, and the receiver closer together.

In your case the distance seems pretty short.

Perhapse the wall to the garage has solid pour concrete? Perhapse it has rebar in the wall?

Unplug those devices, and see if your interference clears up.

Also X10 cameras will be on 2.4Ghz freq.

What do you find in your test?

What do you think?

I ended up moving one of the cameras to a different location inside the residence, and the one outside seems to be working fine now. The one inside is perfect, due to the direct line of sight to the receiver. So at this point I'm happier with the installation, but I really appreciate the responses, and will definitely make note of all the advice. Thanks again!