WendyT

Port Routing

I have a 4 Channel DVR (made in china). It should be one of the most economical DVR. I have set up the IP and I manage to connect it via LAN (by going to the DVR IP0. Then I set up a DynDNS account, open all the ports (in this case 3356, 3357, 3358 , 3360 and 80) and set up DDNS setting in my Linksys Router. FYI, I connect my DVR through a router and a modem. When I tried to connect my DVR from internet by going to ....dyndns.org. I was directed to my modem, instead of the DVR. Anyone encountered this problem before? Thank you for trying to help me.

Regards,

WendyT

I have a 4 Channel DVR (made in china). It should be one of the most economical DVR. I have set up the IP and I manage to connect it via LAN (by going to the DVR IP0. Then I set up a DynDNS account, open all the ports (in this case 3356, 3357, 3358 , 3360 and 80) and set up DDNS setting in my Linksys Router. FYI, I connect my DVR through a router and a modem. When I tried to connect my DVR from internet by going to ....dyndns.org. I was directed to my modem, instead of the DVR. Anyone encountered this problem before? Thank you for trying to help me.

Regards,

WendyT

Hi wendy. this is because you have portforwarded port 80 on your router.

Hi.. So, I should not port-forward port 80 in my router? I thought the DVR needs me to port-forward all the 5 ports? Thanks.

WendyT

You initially said that you OPENED these ports - what does that mean exactly? Did you open them in the firewall, or did you FORWARD them to the DVR's LAN IP? If you simply told the firewall to unblock those ports, then they're not going anywhere; you have to tell it to route the traffic on those ports to the DVR.

I can't think of any normal instance where opening OR forwarding ports should allow you to access the MODEM from the outside. It's entirely possible to inadvertently set it up so you access the ROUTER settings, but not the modem.

I am using Linksys WRT54GH as my router. So, in the port-forwarding section of my router, I port forwarded all those 5 ports (80, 3356, 3357, 3358, and 3360).