NothingInCommon

Help this noob with his camera please :)

Here is my situation:

I came across this pioneer back up camera, but as you can see the tip was cut off. I spliced it open to expose the wires. I am wondering if there is any way I can salvage this camera and put it to good use using a computer to record during the night time?

cam.jpg

diag.png

diag2.png

Camera Info

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Accessories/Rear-View/ND-BC4

Universal Rear-View Camera for use with Pioneer A/V and Navigation products featuring a Rear View Camera Input.

One of the best rear-view cameras has been improved again! The camera unit has been shrunk (4mm x 4mm x 2mm smaller), and a new sensor with even better low-light (night-time) visibility is used.

Features include:

Wide Viewing Angle: 135 Degrees (Horizontal) and 105 Degrees (Vertical)

1/4" Color CCD with 270,000 pixel resolution (491 x 512 pixels)

0.9 ~ 10,000 Lux Automatic Luminance Control (includes automatic low-light lux mode for higher detail and contrast in low-light conditions)

Compact Camera Unit: 23mm (W) x 23mm (H) x 24mm (D)

Composite Video Output (6m cable included)

dang buddy... you broke or bored or both? lol

when you stripped the wires, what are the colors for each one?

black is usually negative DC (sometimes shared with video common), red is positive DC, yellow is video, and if there is a shield, that will probably be video common...

dang buddy... you broke or bored or both? lol

when you stripped the wires, what are the colors for each one?

black is usually negative DC (sometimes shared with video common), red is positive DC, yellow is video, and if there is a shield, that will probably be video common...

well its a $220 camera, and i thought it would be a shame to go to waste if i was able to get the right equipment..

it has 2 wires, yellow and red (12V DC)

it is wrapped in a mesh of interwoven wires..

yellow would be the tip of a yellow RCA jack. the braided wire would be the ring around a yellow RCA jack and it would also be a shared common for the negative 12v DC voltage, the red is the positive 12v DC voltage.

that PSU looks like it's regulated though... not an uncommon requirement for cheap board cameras. I'd be careful in selecting how you power it

that PSU looks like it's regulated though... not an uncommon requirement for cheap board cameras. I'd be careful in selecting how you power it

so I should be able to splice a yellow RCA cable , solder the wires, find a 12v DC power source, and it will work?

I'll say yes... but don't shoot me if it fries. I've never used that particular camera... I've just been around electronics for long enough to have an educated guess....

As bpzle already mentioned yellow wire is normally video and red is normally power .. braid is normally ground on both of them, if they each have an individual braid. Try the grounds separate first, if no picture then join the grounds together and connect to the DC power supply ground, wont fry it as long as you keep polarity correct. But yes every camera is different.