Ted

Designing wireless systems

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has setup a system covering a large area using wireless accesspoints? I'm setting up a system at a large industrial complex to cover the perimeter. My idea is to spread 6 point to point APs over the area. Each AP handles maximum 3 cameras with 1,3 Mpix (through a small switch) and some PTZs. This is to avoid burying a lot of optocables to cover the area which would of course work best, but the cost would be quite high. Anyone have any experience in this kind of setup? Things to concern, avoid? Suggestions?

I don't have any direct experience with something like that...

There's other guys on here that do.

However, if I were in your position... I'd listen to their advice first and then buy a handful of point to point radios and do my own real world testing to make sure the distances and bandwidth abilities are satisfactory.

Although cheaper than running fiber... this job sounds like a big money maker. No offense to anyone, but there's only so far I'm willing to trust guys on the internet when it comes to a big potential job.

Nothing beats real world experience. You don't want to quote your client something that doesn't work. You don't want to be embarrassed. And most of all, you don't want to loose the bid.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi bpzle,

You're right about the experience but there always has to be a first time for everything I think that I can judge any input on the design based on my other experience so I'm not too worried about getting any weird advices Every environment is unique regarding interferences from other radio equipment, machines, traffic etc so I think it's almost impossible to guarantee that something like this would work before actually setting it up. If something doesn't work one has to reconsider and try another way untill success. Could be expensive in time used but that goes for all business.

These are the APs I plan to use.

that wireless AP looks extraordinary,... to the point of peculiar.

802.11a 108Mbps Wireless Outdoor CPE

according to the spec, the capacity of 802.11a is only 54Mbps, and that's nominal already.

they must have done some extraordinary job boosting it that far.

I haven't got the impression that it is consumer grade equiment. I have used their 24-p switches for some time and they have worked perfectly so I see no reason to doubt the quality. Have no idea though why they state 108Mps. I know my supplier has tested the equipment and found it to work very well.

Firetide looks interesting, I'll contact the swedish distributor tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

Pm me if you like we have done some similar systems and have had all the possible problems. Most are avoidable. I agree with the other posters you need industrial/mil grade stuff we have used proxim which is expensive but once setup is rock solid. figure in a site survey as you can have a whole lot of fun if you run into interference from other devices. For cameras we used panasonic ptzs which have run without problems for three years.