start, programs, accessories, command prompt, same DOS window like you did ping in ..

yank the netgear router out of the equation and see what happens. If you see video all of a sudden, you have a port blocked or the router is hosed.

yes sorted the telnet typing , screen just goes black with a flashing cursor,

then it works. That tells us it can connect to that port 3333 on the DVR fine. Now it is up to the DVR and the client software to send the password into the DVR and send you the video back.

usig the software you should connect and see video.

Make sure you are entering the right IP and Port in the Software, no spaces, type it all in, also make sure the password is correct.

If still no go, uninstall the software and reinstall again.

Rory

Edited by Guest

no need to, your PC is connecting to that port on the DVR so its not a router issue.

You are using the software that came with the DVR right?

Maybe bob should contact the place he bought it and say something about a sticky wicket caught in his knickers, or whatever english people say and find out too if they have heard of this as well...

Because rory is right, if it connects up with telnet, you should be able to make it work.... but like scott said too, it could be that piece of crap netgear too... try putting static ips on your pc and the dvr and hook it together with just a switch, or if you are close enough with a crossover...

-Marcus

Typed it in again word perfect still no video, if telnet finds it does it mean its a software issue?

Well it is a software, or password issue. It could also be a DVR issue as though you can connect to the port no problem, the DVR still needs to do some work to send you the video, and the software also needs to be working good.

Its 30m away from the pc,however i can get connectors to convert the cable to crossover, if i connect the dvr to the pc direct is this a way to view thw cams?

The dvr comes with a ir remote and the password and all the functions are ok when this is used viewed on a tv using monitor out.

What marcus said, try a crossover cable or just a switch or hub .. OR

in the DVR menu

HARDWARE SETUP

NETWORK

SELECT STATIC IP AND HIT ENTER

MAKE IT THE FOLLOWING:

Ip: 192.168.0.100

gateway: 192.168.0.1

network: 255.255.255.0

EXIT

PASSWORD

ENTER NEW PASSWORD, CONFIRM

EXIT

EXIT AND REBOOT THE DVR

Reboot the Router.

With this you dont have to disable DHCP in the router, but you could if you want, but then you would have to set up your PC with an IP etc as well.

If using a cross over you will still have to set up the DVR and the PC with the same IP ranges, Gateway, and Subnet.

anyway,

Now try to connect using that IP: 192.168.0.100, Port 3333, and the new password you just entered.

Rory

Its 30m away from the pc,however i can get connectors to convert the cable to crossover, if i connect the dvr to the pc direct is this a way to view thw cams?

It's more of a way just to rule out something wierd with the router....

If you put statics on your pc and dvr and then use a crossover to the dvr and still have the same issues, it's with the dvr or the software, not anything with the network... unless you have some kind of software firewall on your pc... make sure all software firewalls are turned off just in case...

-Marcus

On the router i have been using dynamic for the ip addresses,

this seemed to work ok as the dvr has the dynamic facility.

From what ive heard the router i have is not the easiest to configure for static ip addresses.

When i go into router diagnostics they show to have their own addresses and are enabled and working on a ping,bearing this in mind when telnet also connects ,is it down to the dvr or software?

For testing purposes I mean to put static ips on your dvr and your pc, not from the router... If you put static ips on your dvr and pc and you connect with a crossover, you won't be using the router at all in that instance.

Yeah you can leave the router in dynamic IP mode, as once the DVRs IP is in the same range, same gateway, etc, it will still work. I would first suggest making the DVR static .. like i said above, then if it doesnt work, try what marcus said ..

put 192.168.0.100 like rory said on the dvr

put 192.168.0.101 on your pc...

you should put 255.255.255.0 as your subnet on both

you *may* need a default gateway (windows doesn't require it but your dvr might) and you can put anything as long as it starts with 192.168.0. the last number doesn't matter at this point because you are in the same subnet and it doesn't do any routing it is just there as a placeholder...

then connect the pc and dvr with a crossover...

once you do that

put the 192.168.0.100 in you software as the dvr to connect to and see what happens...

Just rebooted everything again from scratch,still no joy.

It worked briefly when i first set it up and no changes have been made to the pc or router since.

I will get some adapters to convert the straight lead to a crossover and see what happens before i show the dvr the door.

In the meantime ive ordered a Kodicom 880,hope this works.

Thanks for the help guys,much appreciated .

Bob

Back again,

i am going to try to connect a laptop directly using a cat5 crossover to the dvr ,can someone please tell me how i configure the laptop to connect it?