Sign in to follow this  
Madriver

Camera Questions from a Novice

I appreciate any help you guys can give. I've been reading dozens of forum topics and have a bunch of questions and need a little advice.

A bought a few different types of fixed lense cameras with auto-iris (inexpensive cameras but rated 480 or 540 lines) and noticed that the focus is always a tiny bit off. Is that typical of auto-iris? Am I better off spending a little more for varifocal cameras?

I'm going to try out the monalisas, they seem to be the favorite here. What about a similar quality bullet camera, any suggestions?

What is the best format to record in? Is it a tradeoff between quality and hard drive size?

What do you think of a camera like this:

Features:

Varifocal 3.5 to 8mm lens

1/3 inch Sony Super HAD CCD Sensor

540 TV Lines

36 Infrared LEDs

80 ft. IR view distance

Metal armor housing

May be used indoors or outdoors

Ceiling or wall mount

3 Axis

Exterior adjustments for focus & zoom (no need to remove housing)

Specifications:

TV System: NTSC

Image Sensor: 1/3-inch Sony Super HAD CCD sensor

Resolution: 540 lines

Video Output: 1.0 Vp-p 75 Ohms

Min. Illumination: 0 lux with IR On

Shutter Speed: 1/50~1/12,000 sec.

Backlight compensation: Auto

White balance: Auto

Gamma correction: > 0.45

S/N Ratio: Over 50dB at AGC Off

Waterproof rating: IP55

Recommended Operating Temperature: -20°C ~ 50°C (-4°F ~ 122°F)

Dimensions: 120mm (diameter) X 90mm (height) [4.72in (D) X 3.55in (H)]

Weight: 850g (1.9 lbs.)

Power Supply: 12V DC (not included)

Power Consumption: 1 Amp

I'm a novice also but can share my experience. After buying two cameras with fixed lens and built in IR I found out:

Low res camera looked better and picked up low light better at night (these are not ICR) I then read more and found ICR is recommended for better night pics which is what I wanted so I went with Soundys advice and bought a Monolisa vcm-24vf which does not have built in IR. I had a 25 watt bulb in my back porch and it was too bright, I bought a 15 watt and it was too bright. I saw a 7 watt little bitty walk way bulb and thought What the heck I'll try it thinking it would be too dim. It was also almost too bright in the camera but it actually hard to tell it is on outside. I took aluminum foil and put it in half the porch light globe directing the light further out into the driveway and it is great. Actually hard to believe- I've walked back and forth from the porch to my monitor shaking my head in disbelief.

The plus of this is NO spiders building webs on the built in IR setting off motion detection - NO bugs flying around built in IR setting off motion. and a full screen bright picture instead of a bright center where the IR is and dark on the edges. I don't have near enough experience to say built in IR cameras couldn't do this but I am sold on the Dome Monolisa with external light.

Also I doubt I will buy a fixed lens again simply because I like the adjustment range with limited experience.

Hope this helped.